2017 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fry, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

You really can’t admit your bias? And your going to argue that Saban has some power over the committee that Urban doesn’t. Quit being an idiot.

2. 8and8

8and8 Starter

I'm saying there's not a valid reason Bama got in over Wisconsin. Why do you think Bama got in over Wisconsin?

3. Tuckfro42

Probably because their strength of schedule is better. You can argue against that all you want, but according to the metrics they use, Alabama is the better team.

Look, I really don’t think Alabama can beat Clemson, but neither could OSU, Wisconsin, or USC. So it doesn’t really matter in my mind.

4. 8and8

8and8 Starter

Wisconsin actually had the tougher SOS. I can understand not putting in a team with a 31 point loss to Iowa and I can understand why PSU thought they should be in over OSU last year but there was a clear reason why OSU got in and it was 3 top 8 wins. There's not a single reason Bama should have got in over Wisconsin.

5. Tuckfro42

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other
    No they didn’t.

6. 8and8

8and8 Starter

7. Tuckfro42

Hmm. I can’t find Sagarin’s rankings.

8. 8and8

8and8 Starter

Jus
    just type in Jeff sagarin sos rankings

9. Tuckfro42

I guess I found it. Terribly confusing, but you are right. However, Sagarin has Alabama ranked number 1 anyway. I don’t understand.

10. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

OSU didn't get in for two reasons:
    1. They got slaughtered by Iowa;
    2. They got slaughtered by Clemson in last year's playoffs.

I won't make the argument that that's fair (because it isn't), but I imagine that's what it came down to. More people would want to tune in to Clemson vs. Bama III than Clemson vs. OSU II. Though, as I mentioned previously, with Bama's starting LB core gone, I don't foresee Clemson vs. Bama III being all that great of a game (but, you never know).

Regarding SOS: That's entirely pointless in NCAAF since the degrees of separation between team opponents is too great (e.g. School X beats School Y who beat School Z who got beat by School W, so now we have some argument for how good School X is relative to School W). Without doing something like having the Power 5 conferences play each other every year in a consistent fashion (e.g. the SEC West plays comparable opponents from the Big 10 East (comparable := #1 of SEC West previous year plays #1 of Big 10 East previous year) and the SEC East plays comparable opponents from the ACC Atlantic), then I just don't see any meaning in the rankings; it's all mostly a matter of opinion, which will always favor the bigger name schools and whatever conference biases are most generally bought into at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar