AFC South Rankings: LB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jun 16, 2008.

?
  1. Colts: Brackett, Hagler, Keiaho

5.1%
  2. Jaguars: Peterson, D. Smith, Durant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Texans: Ryans, Greenwood, Bentley

5.1%
  4. Titans: Fowler, Bulluck, Thornton

89.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

colvin was never a great linebacker, he was just very good at rushing the passer and chances are he won't even play linebacker for you guys unless there is an injury. i see him like more of a situational pass rusher to take pressure off of mario.

i think stanford keglar washes out adibi, considering they were both 4th round picks and no one knows how they will play.

2. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

I posted how Colvin will be a hybrid DE/LB for us above. I agree... he most likely will come in on passing situations to bring heat opposite of Mario, with Amobi Okoye coming up the middle. Still listed as a LB tho. He passed his physical which brought the signing about.

I give us the slight edge at the top of the LB listing with Demeco, tie in the middle or slight edge to the Titans, and you guys on the 3rd LB...until Zach Diles or Adibi proves themselves. Still Chaun Thompson is a good signing for depth and rounds out this unit now.

3. Fry

is the poll even considering depth, or is it just starters? if it was depth i probably would have voted for the jags at DT.

4. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Tackles aren't the end-all be-all for LBs. for example, if a linebacker sticks to his gap assignments, the RB isn't going to be stupid enough to run into em 9 times out of 10, and someone else will get the tackle. One guy makes the defensive play, another gets the tackle.

You show me a LB who is making a big chunk of the teams tackles game in and game out, i'll show you a team that has either a massive liability on the defensive line, or a team whos defense is on the field way too long. Either way, just because a player has more tackles, doesn't mean they are better.

5. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Doesn't mean they are any worse either. But its a good starting point...and the point was to emphasize against the "mile away" comment. I can go on and on about Demeco and his nose for the ball, how he is all over the field, major disruption, commands extra attention, etc,etc... but those can and do get argued all day long and will be claimed by the other team just as much. Stats tell a stated factual part of the story at least. And solo tackles in relation to total tackles is a good gauge usually of talent.

Patrick Willis, Nick Barnett, Jon Beason, D.J. Williams, Demeco Ryans, Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, David Thornton, Angelo Crowell, and London Fletcher are the in top 10 tacklers in statistics for linebackers. A damn good haul of talent huh?

6. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Yeah it is, I'm not knocking Demeco Ryans. Do I believe he is top 5 at MLB? Yes i do.

But the rest of your group isn't. We have 2 top 10 OLBs, and were talking about the linebacker corps, not Demeco vs Bulluck, or Demeco vs Thornton. We're comparing the collective.

Demeco is way better than our MLB, but I wouldn't assume you would turn down Keith Bulluck or David Thornton to start alongside of him.

My vote goes to the Titans (not trying to be a homer)

1. Titans
    2. Texans
    3. Jags
    4. Colts

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Greenwood couldn't carry bulluck or thornton's jock. He is average.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Greenwoods play for the Texans the past 3 seasons state OTHERWISE. We have been very happy with him. I would take 23 yr old Demeco over 31 yr old Bullock every time. And Thorntons and Greenwoods numbers over the past three seasons are neck and neck.. slight advantage to Greenwood.

I wouldnt have a problem picking the Titans LB crew overall over the Texans. Again, just saying its not as far and away the easy pick as some stated earlier.

9. Fry

then again, it doesn't take much to make a texan fan happy.

10. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

hardy har...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar