Anyone know how to use a Telescope?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jessestylex, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Isn't Uranus where Jacksonville is located?

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

you have to take the lens cap off, jesse.

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

[​IMG]

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Use your Right Ascension (R.A.) and Declination (Dec.) knobs to find celestial bodies. You'll have to find a internet sight or book that gives the location of Saturn for today. If you have the Autostar feature, you should be able to just find Saturn in the "Solar System" menu.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If you're just looking at planets you can spot them with the naked eye then dial em in on the scope using the spotter.

6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Who are you? Superman?

7. jessestylex

all i see is stars and the moon.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Ok here's how it works...

On a cloudless (preferably moon-less) night, you can see stars pretty clearly unless you're near alot of man-made lights (city, shopping centers etc).
    Most anything that twinkles is a star but if it doesn't twinkle it's a planet.
    Depending on the month and location (I'm presuming you're in TN?) you can see various planets with the naked eye.

Visible planets are
    Jupiter (you can see it's moons with the scope)
    Saturn (you can see it's rings with a good binocular)
    Mars (the reddest "star" in the night sky
    Venus (the brightest planet in the sky - closest to sunrise)
    and occasionally Mercury I believe.

I'd check online to see what months the planets are best seen...

9. jessestylex

yeah i got a site that lets me pick the time and day, and it'll show all the stars and planets that you could see at that time, with clear skies of course.

it tells me the locations and altitude. figuring those numbers out on my telescope is the tricky part. i tried last night seeing Saturn and what they told me didnt match up. i slowly moved my scope around and couldnt find it.

im gonna keep trying, im going to get a level and level my scope that could be throwing the numbers off. the rest of the weekend looks like it's going to be crappy weather here in middle TN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar