Are poor TV ratings a result of poor scheduling by the studios?

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Childress79, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Of course but airing 22 episodes over 22 weeks has to be better for ratings than airing the same over 40.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You'd think TV execs would realise that by showing a show 22 weeks straight (or how ever long the season is) they'd get more viewers.

Some shows I don't watch until the DVD is out because I can watch it at my own pace without advertisements.

3. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

That's why sites like Hulu are so great. A lot of the time i'll watch a show there instead of catching it when it actually airs. 30 second advertisements three times per show are a lot easier to swallow than 3-5 minute commercial breaks.

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

The biggest reason ratings are down is every thing has been watered down with the number of channels out there, online viewing and DVD's etc. I know folks hate dealing with commercials, but that is how networks and Cable makes money. It is a necessary evil. As far as having shows spread out over 40 weeks, networks like to do that because it puts their best shows thru both sweeps period and that is the #1 most important time for Networks. That is when their ad rates are set.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Bummer.Looks like the format is here to stay then.:hmm:

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Maybe. The way 24 does is completely new concept. The thought with a show like that is to have it fall during one sweeps period and build up such a following they can base it on that previous year's finale along with massive promos leading up to the season. The season finale will be shown during the this year's spring sweeps period, which I believe is end of April into May.

A very interesting new concept is what Fringe is doing. They have much less advertising time during their show. They are selling less time but at a premium price, which seems to be working.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Is advertising revenue for a show also important as to whether it's renewed or is that a new thing that might be a factor in the near future?

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Advertising revenue, both actual and potential, is the ONLY thing that matters to the networks.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Except for the pay networks, where the best shows live...

10. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Whether you are paying the HBO's and Showtimes cash every month or letting Advertisers pay it for you on the main networks, its all the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar