Best Place to Buy a Jersey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AH3, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Downloading free songs isn't illegal..

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

You know what I'm talking about, sites where people download songs without paying the artist anything for them...

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

you know, if the NFL didn't exploit 3rd world labor there wouldn't be any non-licensed merchandise. The only reason there is a flood of cheap shirts is because they manufacture them there. They pay workers $0.10/hour to use $5 or so in materials so they can mark up a shirt 2000%. If they made all those jerseys right here in America and charged a modest, normal production mark-up, paid American workers a regular textile workers wage... the shirt would still be $200. The only difference is amending the means of production would force the market to either buy from the source or abstain. There wouldn't be any unauthorized manufacture because the materials wouldn't be right there in a factory half way around the world ripe for the plunder. It really is just that simple, but as it stands, the NFL figures it will make more money exploiting 3rd world workers and just deal with the hemorrhage of potential lost sales to unauthorized shirts. If they woke up one day and found they couldn't sell licensed shirts because of the black market economics they would change the production model. Evidently, they seem to think the present system is more profitable, regardless if they think they could justify charging more if the label said "Made In The USA".

On music downloading... I know of no "site" that offers copyrighted material for distribution for free. As I understand it, that's illegal. However, I see nothing wrong with p2p software that enables users to share inferior files. Also, it should be noted that use of p2p software is risky at best. Files collected can be malicious and harm the user's computer. No one goes to a music store for data anyways. They go to purchase printed media. CD's, DVD's, and box sets that contain lyrics, posters, set lists, album art and bonus materials are what sells. It's up to the music industry to offer product that is better than what people can collect on their own. The audio cassette was the subject of controversy for years. People recorded things off the radio. The music industry cried foul then. The situation today is no different. The internet is fair game. If there is data out there your entitled to read or retain it. It's not like going into a record store with a burlap bag and a gun.

4. Hoffa

Any clothes you buy has more than likely been made the same way, in a foreign country by cheap labor and marked up tremendously.

Some people on here made a big deal that you should not download songs instead of buying them. To me, buying pirated clothes is the same thing, stealing from the company or artist who earned the copyright.

I have no problem with it myself...

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Any clothes I buy may have been made in the same way but I don't see too many shirts going for $200, that is, at least not where I shop/browse. What I'm proposing is a means in which the NFL could effectively curb unauthorized manufacture of their copyrighted goods if they choose to. The NFL, or really, Reebok, totally empowers the "bootleggers". My rationale is that if they don't mind, I don't mind, but even if they did I don't care. They can do something about it if they like, besides, I already bought one from them anyways and I've spent too much money on football and football related expenses to date as it is.. I can't even explain why I drink Coors light so much but maybe in my subconscious it has something to do with corporate sponsorship. I not even sure if there is anything unlawful about ordering those shirts from Korea. If I had a store I'd want to see how feasible it would be to stock and sell them... but then again, maybe that's where the line should be drawn, (and likely is for all I know). I think ordering shirts and downloading songs is more or less the same. If you order a whole bunch of them and try to sell them to stadium crowds you're probably being less of an entrepreneur and more of a criminal at that point. If you're just a guy who likes a team and you buy a jersey for you and your collection, well, that's what the internet is for. It's clear that Korea is exploiting the NFL right back and maybe that's why it works. For what it's worth I have no qualms with tax free liquor for private consumption. I'd expect someone who operates a tavern with self-produced booze to be closed down or possibly prosecuted.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Forget the sophisticated talk. Money talks. My pocket likes his friends, and when he see's his boy Benjamin take off and not return, it hurts him. Or if my pocket sees his friend card over their being used and abused. My pockets don't enjoy being hurt, so I'll gladly pay some bootlegger my hard earned money over some stingy label. Now of course if I'm buying sneakers or something that matters and speaks for your taste and style, I'll spend an extra dollar. I can't walk around town in Payless originals, it says I'm broke or I don't want girls. But a jersey I'm wearing limited amount of times, and something that if i do wear weekly, only gets scene by cheaper guys than me. I'm feeding America someway, either Joe the hustler, or Dan S Bernstein III the executive that if he went to school knows about competition. The big companies can absorb those loses in their bottom lines. Reebok without a single jersey sale alone is a okay.

7. Hoffa

Stealing is stealing, and people can always justify why it's OK if they're doing it...

8. JCBRAVE

Do you think its stealing because someone is reaping the benefits of the nfl's built up product and image. That they've made that way?
    Not when they give themselves such a huge gap between fair and reasonable to outrageous and exorbitant. And you can only think that way because of licensing agreements and crap some cleaver white guy 20 years ago came up with. I know what your saying Hoffa, but the nfl robs people blind for their markups, as do other monster companies. If their costs were true, then they would ask real prices and give no room for little people to do it. And they feel its criminal because its their product and money, but it isn't. It's criminal if you steal from footlocker shelves and make them take a loss. Not when you pay for it from its maker. The Lions shouldn't be able to market a lion as theirs, but they do because they dubbed it the Detroit Lions and make it blue (notice: no real lion is blue). You can't buy that, but titling the lion makes Detroit Lions own the word. That's wrong. If someone bootlegs the Titans logo and likeness, but alters one minor thing, its his own version and can sell that. $40 Pro team jerseys are not the 'real' ones worn by players, but not even the player would now much if any difference. However they are different in some way, otherwise the nfl could sue and close them down. Notice these sites have existed for years, and can continue.

9. Hoffa

wtf?
    :?:

10. JCBRAVE

^Yea if you knew much about licensing and crap you'd know his name, but I forget it. He basically killed the industry for a lot of people. He was just some smart guy that found a way to do less and make more. If not for that white guy the NFL would know what apparel merchandise is really worth. Now the league is full of these slicked back execs.

The way it should be is you make a tangible product and sale it at most for a 50% increase to make a profit. Not make it for $7 and sell for $300. That's partially why were in a recession. Theses wrong people keep making these crazy prices on everything. Why the hell is gas over $3.00? This isn't the time or place to get into economics, but it plays into why I'm ll for bootlegging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar