Biggest Positional Need?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Jan 2, 2013.

?
  1. DE

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. DT

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. OG/C

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. S

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. ILB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. WR/TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. QB

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. RB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. OT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

That's where our opinions diverge: I don't think Locker will be a great QB at any point in his career.

This team would be so much different, and better, if they had gone Watt with the 1st round pick.. Watt is a gamechanger.. Locker was a boneheaded pick, most titan fans would agree. We picked out of desperation.. and it hasn't worked out.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ok but a good run game will hide that and save our defense from embarrassing themselves.

And the only way Chris Johnson is any good is if he's got All-Pro linemen in front of him, so get some!

3. nickmsmith

definitely agree.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

So, so tough to just pick one.

But I'm with nick in that QB is the most important position on any team and we are clearly lacking in that area. That said, it's still a little too soon to give up on Locker. If that scrub Munchak deserves another year, then so does Locker. I won't be getting my hopes up. But this was his first year starting and he was playing injured the entire year.

The problem though, is that most of his struggles seemed to be the result of bad decision-making and "between the ears" stuff rather than the injured shoulder. Still, I'd think some level of forgiveness is warranted. The good thing about Locker is that he's not afraid to work hard and doesn't just expect to be great no matter what. So it's really all a matter of his own abilities and how far he can push himself. He deserves that chance I think. (Now if there were clearly an Andrew Luck or an RGIII in this draft I might be singing a different tune.)

So putting QB aside, OL and DL are the most important areas of need. But I'd lean toward DL. I can't really pin it down to DT or DE but all I know is we need a legitimate consistent playmaker. A guy that opposing offenses have to actually gameplan around. We need another Haynesworth or Kearse. Honestly, I'd probably personally prefer a big time DT. When you have a guy that can blow up the middle of the line with any kind of regularity, it does wonders not just for the rest of the DL but for the defense as a whole. See 2008 when basically our entire defense went to the pro bowl on the (ample) back of Haynesworth.

Sure Griffin really, really, REALLY sucks. But luckily he plays a position that is probably on the low end of importance, if you had to rank them. And CJ is his usual hot-and-cold self. But we have to spend our cap next year anyway and honestly, we could do worse. Just need to bring in another decent back so CJ isn't being depended on as our only runner and stalling drives left and right. We could obviously do better at WR/TE but we have so many other more pressing needs it'd be silly to make that our primary focus. Our CB's and LB's are plenty adequate IMO. Again, we could shore them up but it's hardly a top priority.

5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Here's the thing with DT this year, do any of the early cats actually strike you as a game changer?

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Honestly, I don't follow college closely enough to know. So I'm totally speaking generally. Just saying it would probably be #1 on my list. But obviously you don't want to reach. If none of the guys in this class strike the FO as that kind of potential playmaker, then you move on to the next position.

Of course all of this is assuming the FO actually knows what they're doing.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I can give a quick cliff notes verison of the "Top 3" DTs.

Star Lotulelei - 6'3 320 - Has all the ESPN Hype. Average on film. Then destroys on 1-3 plays. Questionable motor, unlimited potential.

Sheldon Richardson - 6'3 295 - Starting to get the hype. More of a pass-rusher. Great speed and athleticism for a big guy, will move up after the combine. Good motor. Talks too much. Potential.

Johnathan Hankins - 6'3 320 - Big ol body. Above average on film. Good #s. Good motor and hard worker. Solid potential as well.

So basically, Star has a ton of potential with a questional work ethich. Sheldon works hard, not the biggest body, a ton of potential. Hankins has the body, slighly less potential than the others.

8. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Solid play from the middle of the OL would be sufficient. You're going to be disappointed if you think only All Pro's will do. I highly doubt the Titans start next season with any All-Pro's at G or C. If they start simply solid/good players, this offense could be scary in no time. Especially if we get anywhere near the Britt we had before his knee exploded.

9. nickmsmith

so, i'll take that as no JJ watt, then.

How bout a trade for our 1st, and next years 1st, and Whoever else they want from our roster for Watt??

10. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

I would have to slightly disagree with this assessment of Lotulelei.

To fully grasp what this young man can do in one on one situations please watch the game against USC. I use this as a barometer because the center he was going against Khaled Holmes, was regarded as the 2nd best center in the country (behind Barrett Jones) before this game. Watch how many times the shotgun snap or center to quarterback exchange was affected because he had to compensate for Star's explosiveness.

Any highlights found on Youtube will show you that he demands a double team and even when double teamed he still gets a push. How many times can you remember throughout the season did Marks have one on one matchups and he couldn't disengage? Or Casey (even though I think Casey is the better out of the two)?

This is what he brings to the table on a consistent basis. He is not as powerful as Ndamukong Suh, but probably more explosive off of the ball.

If available, take him without a doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar