BUILD OUR DEFENSE; THAT'S THE KEY!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by oilerstruck, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

I have made the statement too many times in the past. We will not be competitive until we build a top 5 defense. Seattle proved the point. Outside of a couple of OL needs, our FA movements and our draft should focus on building a dominating defense. We do not have glaring needs on offense that need attention greater than building a top 5 D, especially in light of transitioning towards a 3-4. If a great offensive player falls to us then we may need to way out our options but going into the draft, there’s not much offensively out there. DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE! BUILD IT NOW!

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I was thinking that a mediocre to bad defense was the way to go, but you've changed my mind! Good defense it is!

• High Five High Five x 20
    • LOL LOL x 3
  3. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

It seems our FO believes that as we have done nothing to build our D since our Superbowl loss.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

The team reloaded after the salary cap cuts, signed a bunch of vets, and had the best defense in '08. They have since picked up a bunch of young guys and tried a few vets (Pollard, etc), much like the Seahawks.

Our teams just haven't jelled like the 'hawks.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This is a good plan and all, but we still need a QB not named Ryan "Turnovers" Fitzpatrick, otherwise whats the point?

Reason I say that is because we still have Jake Locker, which means we're still expecting to have to turn to Fitzpatrick at some point. Best Defense in the world can't make up for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Your plan only works if you have solid QB play, which at this minute we do not.

We need to stabilize the QB position before we do anything.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

You still need a good QB. Thats way more important than defense.

7. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Our defense last season was the only reason we were in games. I would have to agree that building the defense is important, WHILE taking pot shots to land a starting calibre QB.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The key is to pick a side either offense or defense and invest enough in it to make it top 10 quality.

The Seahawks secondary is full of pro-bowlers but let's look at where they were drafted. Browner was undrafted (I know he didn't play), Thomas 2nd rnd, Sherman and Chancellor 5th rnders. Not very often do you find pro bowlers in the 5th rnd in back to back drafts.

On the offensive side it really comes down to the QB and OL. If you don't get consistenent QB play your offense is going struggle. Without a decent OL the QB will struggle. We have a young QB who will get 1 final chance to show whether he can be the man. We have invested in the OL. we also have invested in WRs as well. Whether those investments get us to top 10 quality on offense is up to the QB.

I agree that I think this FA period and draft will most certainly be about the defense. Can we keep our secondary together in FA and then build the front 7. Most importantly we need to find ourselves a leader for the defense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I will say this about building a defense, it's much easier than finding the next great QB, so to oilerstruck's point, yea we could go this route and build the defense up more, but again, its a moot point when you have your backup QB in throwing interceptions.

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yea, but you really think this is the year we make it? Lol

This IMO, is a 2-3 year build still. This draft plus at least one more. With key free agent signings.

There's still time to find the QB while you revamp the backbone of the team. Rome... Wasn't built in a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar