Bulluck retiring as a Titan on Friday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pro Football Talk, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

I recorded the Bulluck part if for some reason it's not posted, which it probably will be on Titansonline

2. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans coach Mike Munchak

“I have been fortunate enough to be associated with this organization for more than 30 years, and it is not very often that a Keith Bulluck comes through an organization. I saw every snap that he took in practice and in games and saw him grow from a talented first-round selection into a leader on our defense. He made plays when we needed them and spoke up at the moments that he needed to speak up. He was a consistent player who showed up to practice every day and every Sunday. That is what pros do, and he showed others the way.”

Former Titans coach Jeff Fisher

“When we drafted Keith out of Syracuse, we knew we had the makings of a great football player, and he would prove us right every week. He was fast, athletic, smart, dependable—the perfect linebacker for our system. He also came to our team at a very important time. He gave our defense more athleticism and provided a connection from one group of successful players to the next generation of players. He was part of some very successful teams and defenses and he was a big reason for that success. He played with a confidence and relished the toughest match-ups each week. As much as I lobbied to get all of our games moved to Monday nights, where he thrived under the spotlight, I couldn’t get the league to agree with it. I truly enjoyed my time with him and wish him the best in his retirement.”

Former Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz

“Players as durable as Keith Bulluck are rare. That kind of reliability is prized among teammates and coaches. Keith missed only one game in our nine years together and had a knack for making the big play when the stakes were highest. I saw him grow from a nickel player as a rookie into a Pro Bowl, every-down linebacker and a leader on our defense. He was the prototype weak-side linebacker with speed, length and a high football IQ. He was able to match up with marquee tight ends and running backs and drew the opponents’ most dangerous players week-in and week-out. His leadership was instrumental in bridging the great Titans teams from 1999 through 2003 to the teams that returned to the playoffs in 2007 and 2008. I was fortunate to coach him and wish him and his family the best in his retirement.”

Former Titans linebackers coach Dave McGinnis

“I have had the privilege to have coached some very good players in my 27 years in the league, and Keith Bulluck fits in the upper tier of that group. Keith always answered the bell. He was available every Sunday—week after week and year after year. The biggest compliment anyone can give an athlete who plays a sport for a living is to say, ‘He is a pro.’ You are a professional when you get paid to play, but you are a pro when you play the game for more than money. Keith Bulluck is a pro.”

Former Titans running back Eddie George

“This day is showing my age, because I remember him coming in as a puppy and seeing him grow. In my mind he was the quintessential pro—always prepared each week. He never got enough credit for his play as a linebacker; he was always making plays for us. He was a vocal leader for us, and it was a joy to see him blossom as a player through the years, getting better each season. I have no doubt that he will be tremendous at whatever he chooses to do next in life.”

Former Syracuse teammate Donovan McNabb

“This is an outstanding feeling for me, to see a guy who has changed the linebacker’s approach and played the game for an organization that prided themselves on defensive game changers. And to see a guy who did it each and every weekend, not only am I happy about a friend that did it for 11 years and accomplished a lot of individual honors—he should have received more—but only cared about team and winning. I look at this young man as a brother. To go back to where it started says a lot about him, a true professional.”

Former Titans cornerback Samari Rolle

“Keith was a great leader and player and even better as a teammate and person off the field. He is a close friend and the godfather to my oldest son. I was proud to be his teammate and wish him the best.”

Former Titans linebacker David Thornton

“Part of my decision to play for the Titans was to join forces with the dynamic playmaker, Keith Bulluck! Without question, K.B. was one of the most productive, durable, and respected linebackers to play the position. His numbers are impressive! His passion for the game and commitment to the community are admirable. It’s an honor to have played with such a special individual.”

Former Jaguars running back Fred Taylor

“In my opinion, Keith was a staple in the Titans organization, a true leader on and off the field, and a warrior for the Titans. I call him Spider-Man because of the arm sleeves he always wore, his long, lengthy demeanor, and how he would—without thinking—play with reckless abandon and jump over piles or whatever obstacles were in his way to make the play. He displayed little to no regard for his own body, as long as he got to the ball carriers. One of my favorite people in the world and definitely one of my most fierce competitors. Never was a dirty player, just played the game clean and all out each and every snap. He brought the best out of me every time we played the Titans, and even when we weren’t playing them because I knew he would be watching the film trying to figure out how he could gain an advantage. Therefore I made it my job to not show any weaknesses. He would call out of the blue and say, ‘Freddy, I see that ball kinda loose in that other arm!’ I would just laugh because he wouldn’t say anything else; he’d just hang up. He was that type of guy. Student of the game and one of my all-time favorites.”

Former Titans linebackers coach Gunther Cunningham

“Keith Bulluck is one of those guys that belong in a very special circle of friends I’ve surrounded myself with, and Keith will know exactly what that means. He tried to get in that circle during our first year together, and I kept telling him he needs to make sure that he understands who the circle consisted of. He always told me he knew. As that first season progressed, from week to week he would bring it up and ask, ‘Gun, am I in the circle yet?’ and I would answer with a pretty quick, ‘No!’ During our second year, 2002, Keith blossomed into a very special man. He really grew in all areas of becoming a fine pro. He played and played well. Late in the season I really felt he may be the best linebacker in the league and surely be selected into the Pro Bowl. He wasn’t, and to this day it was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve seen in my 30-year career because he outplayed all of the linebackers that were voted in. I had a chance to leave for coordinator jobs after that year and didn’t do it. The reason was Keith Bulluck. I felt it was the biggest injustice to a young man I had seen for some time, so we made up our mind that he was going one way or another the next year, and he did. Following that year he asked me again if he was in the circle, and my answer was a definite and loud ‘YES!’ That circle consists of Derrick Thomas, Leslie O’Neal, Neil Smith, Howie Long, Lee Williams, Junior Seau, Dale Carter, and James Hasty, to name a few of their time.

“Keith, you have some new friends in that circle: Ndamukong Suh, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Stephen Tulloch, Cliff Avril and other recent additions. You’re in a very special group of men that I’ve had the distinct pleasure to work with throughout my 30-year career, and you should be very proud. Not only are you in the circle with some outstanding players, but if you read those names very carefully, there are a couple of Hall of Famers in there with you. If we live long enough you will have some more of those guys with that yellow jacket around you. God bless you, Keith. You are one great man, and it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to coach you early in your career.”

Source: Titans Insider

3. PassTitansPass

PassTitansPass Starter

During his era, truly my favorite Titan. Never took a play off. Never did anything but hustle. Had he been on NE or Pitts, he'd have been a star. Kinda wish he was still playing. Much respect, Keith.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

At times I thought he was the only player giving 100% when no one else was. That is sadly, something that is hard to come by now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

One of the best Titans players! I miss watching him play on sunday,he always gave it 100%.
    I wish he got the credit he deserved. Thanks Bulluck for all the great years as a Titan! I wish we had more players like him!

6. amy

amy Starter

We love you, Keith Bulluck!!

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

8. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Yeah of course Bulluck was underrated as are all the Titan greats, sad really.

None-the-less Bulluck in my top-3 favorite Titans right behind Eddie George and Mac-9.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

As has already been said many times, players like KB don't come around very often. He was always a favorite of mine. He did his family, this organization, and himself proud in his career.

Best of luck in whatever it is you set you sights on next, KB! We'll miss you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar