Can we address the elephant in the room?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Sabomnim, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabomnim

Sabomnim Starter

What are we doing about kicker?

Which round do we grab one?

Is there someone that actually stands out?

I know some years there is a kicker that actually gets ranked, is this one of those years?

Or do we stick with what we got (bonani?) to replace bironas

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

lol I forgot all about kicker.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We might see the Titans draft a kicker but it's more likely there is a "file update" on about five beginning after the draft to narrow down who will be invited to camp.

5. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

I say we go with Bonani nor now.

Bring in some undrafted free agents at kicker.

See who gets cut during camp or preseason.

6. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Good arguments to be made for drafting a kicker. Typical article: http://nfl.si.com/2012/10/24/more-and-more-kickers-proving-worthy-of-draft-picks/

Excerpts:
    "Denver drafted Jason Elam in 1993, then had him in tow for the next 15 seasons. Oakland has featured Sebastian Janikowski on special teams since he was a first-round pick in 2000. And Jason Hanson has been making kicks for the Lions since 1992."​

"Find the right guy and you can be set for a decade, maybe two."​

"where’s the logic in drafting the 25th-best linebacker prospect in Round 6 instead of taking the best kicker?"​

"Five of the top six kickers this season (2012), in terms of field goals made, are draft picks still with their original teams."​

Remember when Billy Cundiff shanked a game-winning FG attempt in the playoffs? The next year Cundiff was cut and the Ratbirds drafted Justin Tucker. He's turned into one of the best kickers in the league.

Or ask Patriots, Rams or Viking fans about the value of drafting a kicker. Their teams also have three of the best kickers in the league (Gostkowski, Zuerlein, Walsh). And they're all young and should continue to be good for a long time.

I haven't researched kickers yet this year but I'd be all on board with the Titans drafting one on Day Three.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I wouldn't be upset in drafting one in the 6th or 7th.. but the fact is, there are only 32 spots for kickers in the NFL. at any given time, there are 10 through hundreds of free agent kickers looking for work. It's not like the WR or LB position, where you can store 5 or 6 on a roster.

Supply outweighs demand by a large margin. When you draft one, you are particularly tied to that one.. if you just decide to try out 20, you get your choice after seeing them in some more real-life situations.

8. RTH

RTH Meh...

Personally, unless that kicker is phenomenal, I wouldn't draft one. Late, LATE round, at best.

9. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Nate Freese from Boston College is the only one I would draft was a perfect 20-20 his senior year with a few coming from 50+. I still wouldn't touch him until the 6th round.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think we just figured out our new kickers nickname

Guys, meet Maikon Bonani aka Dumbo

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar