Collie Hit + Results

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Finnegan2win, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Glad to see they got this one right..now they can begin the process of trying to explain all this nonsense so everyone is on the same page so the games aren't affected by overly rash refs.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well I certainly don't understand what the NFL is trying to enforce.

I guess helmet to helmet shots are good as long as the receiver has shown possession of the ball?

3. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

It should be like it used to be..INTENT. It's usually pretty easy to see intentional spearing, but then everyone has a different interpretation of intent ..it's too hard to manage with a rule, they should just try to limit the force with better helmets. And really, concussions..guys in MMA get knocked out just as frequently, it cannot be prevented just lessened. Don't try to twist my words and say something about spinal injuries, those are accidents and could just as easily happen on a routine hit.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The way it was explained a couple of weeks back is that helmet-to-helmet is not illegal. It's about hitting a defenseless player. It's about "launching" into a player.

5. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think one big problem with this is-

NFL wr's are starting to look like soccer players out there. Any time a helmet touches them they stay on the field for a while. I dont ever remember this many wrs acting unconscious after what seem like 'kind of hard' hits.

And it'd be smart. Any time someone drills you- act like it hurt a bit more and eventually no one wants to hit due to fines.

7. amy

amy Starter

Maybe this will turn the game into an offensive carnival with scores like basketball. How interesting that these guys are taught to be mean fighting machines, and then are penalized for doing the job they were taught to do. rather like war.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Fixed it for you, don't group them all together. :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icmN0xtc_RM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icmN0xtc_RM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Dont you dare speak bad of Cristiano. He wants to be an actor.

10. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

I guess the way to look at the crackdown is to look at it is in several steps:
    1) Is the player still in the air and "defenseless"
    2) Did the defender launch himself unnecessarily?
    3) Has the player established himself after the catch and prepared "defended" himself for the ensuing hit.
    4) Is there any mitigating circumstances to the hit ie Did another player influence the result of the blow by hitting the player into another.
    5) Did a defender lead with his helmet?
    Helmet to Helmet is not illegal if it were then CJ should have received the benefit of an unneccesary roughness penalty two weeks ago while running near the side line.(Don't remember who it was that nailed him.)
    The reason: he was not "defenseless". Players must protect themselves at all times. It is nearly impossible to do so while in mid-air and a missile is coming at you. Therefore the rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar