Colts finale vs. Titans might have no playoff impact

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

I know it's highly dangerous to pencil in wins in advance.

But I thought I'd spend a little time considering what the Colts have ahead. For a long time, it appeared their season finale against the Titans could amount to a playoff game for them. We thought it might be last year in reverse: Indy needing a win to get into the postseason and the Titans having nothing at risk.

Now, though, it's entirely possible the Dec. 28 game won't mean a thing to either team.

Yes, the Steelers could still find a route to get past Tennessee for the No. 1 seed and the two teams play in Nashville on Dec. 21. But a lot would have to go wrong for the Titans to be in position to lose home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs with a loss at Indianapolis.

As for the Colts, if they don't stumble in the very sweepable three-pack of Cincinnati, Detroit and at Jacksonville, they could have the No. 5 seed sewn up before the Titans get to Indianapolis.

If the Titans are locked in as No. 1 and the Colts as No. 5, Tony Dungy is more likely to rest people in the finale than Jeff Fisher is, as Indy would have a playoff game just a week away while Tennessee would be looking forward to a weekend off.

Indianapolis currently owns:

• A head-to-head tiebreaker over Baltimore
    • A one-game lead and a head-to-head tiebreaker over New England
    • A one-game lead and a two-game conference record tiebreaker over Miami
    • A two-game lead and a two-and-a-half-game conference record tiebreaker over Buffalo.
    The Jets could also be a threat to the Colts, but New York would have to lose to fall out of first place in the AFC East. Right now the Colts are 7-2 in the AFC and the Jets are 6-4 -- which amounts to a one-and-a-half-game lead for Indy in what would be the tiebreaker between them.

More...

2. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

that would be a game where i'd like to see Vince play...

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Colts have really taken care of things for the wild card. 2 paper close wins over houston. If houston wins those game they are 7-5 and the colts only 6-6.

And the wins over new england and baltimore.

The colts have the 3rd best conference record only behind us and the steelers.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

Here's a twist....

If the Steelers lose another game (Cowboys, @Ravens, @Titans, Browns) and the Colts run the table, the two teams very easily end up tied at season's end..... and the Colts own the tiebreaker, having beaten the Steelers head-to-head.

But because of the way postseason seedings are set, the Steelers would have the #2 seed and get a bye, and the Colts would be #5 and play a wildcard game on the road.

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

would be nice to see Peyton playing our backups.

6. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

if the colts sweep the next 3 and play the titans with a record of 11-4 i would be amazed.

if the titans rest starters or just plain lose to the colts, the colts would once again finish 12-4. i never would have guessed that after the start we had

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

it'll prob happen, Colts played like crap most of the season and will end up 12-4. they have2 easy games left plus we might not play our starters.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

:coltssuk:

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

You should know, your friggin' Bud Adams.

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Yea, but 12-4 ain't gonna be good enough to help pay for that new stadium...I sure hope the government doesn't order LP Field to bail u guys out after the next couple years of hosting playoff games :greedy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar