Comcast yanking NFL Network

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTV does have the package deal with Bellsouth, though that may die if AT&T gets TV service (which I expect would be using fiberoptic cable). But no, it's not what I have even though I do have Bellsouth and DTV.

And Comcast's high speed never really gives you the speed they advertise. It's still pretty fast, but they only tell you the maximum possible speed, not the real normal speed.

2. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

3. Bellsouth basically covers the southeast US, and is now part of AT&T

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The biggest problem with Comcast is that instead of building their network to meet customer needs, they just kick off users who actually use the high speed network as it was advertised.

They used to advertise "unlimited access" but in the fine print, if you are in the top 1% of users, they kick you out on the pretext that your "excessive use" is damaging other customer's ability to use the network. They don't have to demonstrate that anyone on your node complained, or anything of the kind. They just kick off customers who are unprofitable for them.

I have read on the Internet that they have the same policy with their digital voice service.
    If you took them at their word and placed a month long call to Canada, you would likely be told that they really didn't mean what they said, that as a customer who agreed to the terms of service when signing on you agreed that legal disputes would be settled by their arbitrator, not in the courts (you gave up your right to sue in most cases) coupled with the fact that you really don't have much choice...DSL, which isn't quite as fast in most cases.
    What are you going to do? use Vonage over Comcast? Then if you make the same month long call to Canada, they get you for "excessive bandwidth use."

I would love to see Vonage sue Comcast for that monopolistic practice!

Then they have the gall to put out the ads that try to imply that the local cable franchises are there to protect the consumer.

But, if AT&T offered a similar service you could switch to whenever Comcast made such a call, then it is much less likely that Comcast would treat the customers as hostages, and that they would be forced to increase capacity the old fashioned way. Build it.

BTW, the AT&T broadband is a hybrid FO/copper DSL service. Fiber-to-the-neighborhood.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The NFL Network is gone. Looks like $5 more a month if you want it.

Anyone know if the Sports Package will be in HD? I can't find any info on it. I'd do it if I could get it in HD.

6. TitanJeff

I'm thinking about a call to DirectTV. I'm already into Comcast for over $130 a month for cable/internet.

Does DirectTV use existing cables for their signal or what should I expect if I make the switch?

7. Yes, DirecTV dishes should plug into the same coaxial cable that Comcast uses where it runs into the house.

Theoretically, though, you might want to run a 2nd coax cable into your main TV watching room, which would allow you to record 2 channels at once with a DirecTV DVR (or Tivo).

8. TitanJeff

Yup. I see where they have a HD DVR that can do that.

I'm weeding through all the sales hype now on their site trying to find out what the REAL monthly cost is with their high-speed internet service.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

"Unlimited use" through any provider is not synonymous with "unlimited bandwidth," and that's where everyone starts complaining. My friends that have a problem with their BS, Comcast, Verizon, etc. are the ones who are trying to host servers. If you're not paying for business class speed, don't complain. The top 1% are almost always hosting servers.

10. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

I would avoid satellite based high speed Internet.
    You will have poor upstream speeds, and probably have quotas that will be frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar