Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by mike75, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

the more I think about it, the more I could accept Patterson at 10. Not my go to choice, but I could tolerate it.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd be pissed if we took Patterson or Austin at #10. I'm all for a WR, but in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't see Patterson or Austin worthy of a top half 1st round pick.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No matter how you slice it, both of these players have 'issues.'

Austin is one of the most dangerous players in this draft and if he was 6', he's a sure fire top 10 pick. Problem is, he's in the 5'8's and in the 170's with no real room to grow much bigger. So what do you have? A major weapon who's a slot guy first, can take a handoff, can return punts and or kicks. Oh yeah, and if you doubt his talent, check out what he did to #12 ranked Oklahoma. One of the most impressive single games I've ever seen!

His upside is as a faster Wes Welker. While even Belicheck somehow thinks a 'slot guy' shouldn't be paid like an 'outside' guy, I'd beg to differ. Welker and those TE mismatches are what make the Pats passing game work. They keep bringing in those all important outside guys who prove year in and year out they aren't nearly as valueable as Welker. Welker with more speed and explosiveness?? SIGN ME UP!!!

The downside to Austin is that it's hard to play guys that short on the outside as it limits the size of your window. Short guy usually means short arms too. And such a slight frame makes you worry about injuries. He will also not be able to block too effectively.

Austin is a top 10 talent IF you have an OC who is smart enough to utilize him the right way. That's a BIG IF!!!

Patterson is an intriguing talent. While Patterson has some spectacular game tape...he doesn't have that many catches. A guy THAT dominant should have lit it up...but he didn't. Why? If he's THAT good, why only 46 receptions? Why only 5 receiving TD's? And THAT was as the #2 target and Hunter's no slouch.

And that is the problem. With ONLY 1 year of tape and big time experience, you're not really sure what you're getting. Someone will draft him in round 1 due to his size, speed, agility and explosive plays he's put on film, but to me a first round WR should have more than 46 catches, 5 receiving TD's and have the 2nd best stats of a WR on his team and the other guy is rated BELOW him?

The FACT of where his stats are and his single year of experience at this level and only showed flashes makes him a bigger boom or bust prospect. Could he become a Julio Jones? Yes, but no one is gonna trade their draft to get him because he has too much risk.

Austin, on the other hand, has the production you look for and expect out of a first round talent. He was also the #1 target and still lit it up. 112 catches, a ton of yards and 12 receiving TD's I think. And that's just as a WR, he showed to be a dominant RB and kr/pr too. Austin's downside is his higher chance of injury and he needs to be utilized correctly. That's his chance of 'busting.' But he's capable of being a big weapon from day one!

Austin would be my guy!

Gut

4. xpmar9x

Oh Gut, I always enjoy reading your novels. Post more often.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Thanks, I do my best!:)

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

@MoveTheSticks is Daniel Jeremiah BTW. I value his opinion more than I do most "NFL guys".

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

@LanceZierlein
    Interviews and learning issues are killing Patterson​
    @SigmundBloom Lance is trying to be tactful

8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Neither. But I REALLY want hunter in the second!

9. xpmar9x

I can't see Patterson falling out of the 1st, just can't. A late 1st team needing WR (and theres alot of them) would take the risk.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't see him falling completely out of the 1st either. Still, it's crazy that there's even a buzz about it since he's been considered a top 10 pick by so many people for the past few months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar