Cutting Taylor dents Jaguars locker room

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Last week, the Jaguars cut Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence. The moves were a giant "our-bad" from the organization, which invested significant money and hope in the free agents last year and wound up seeing their lack of production paired with their prices turn into a major issue in a locker room that went bad.</p> <p>Monday, <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3911006" target="_blank">the AP reports</a> the Jaguars cut Fred Taylor. It's&nbsp;a move with a far different set of repercussions.</p> <p>Taylor is expensive and aging - he would have cost $6 million against the cap in 2009 and he just turned 33, a huge number for a running back.</p> <p>He has been an underappreciated player throughout his career. He got a reputation as injury prone in his first four seasons, but played in 100 of 112 regular season games since. He's fifth all-time among running backs with at least 10,000 yards with an average of 4.64 yards per carry.</p> <p>INSERT CHART</p> <p>According to ESPN.com researcher Andrea Williams, the next best average among active backs belongs to LaDainian Tomlinson who's at 4.4. Taylor's been a quarter yard better per carry than Tomlinson. Bet you can win a bet armed with that next time you get together with the gang.</p> <p>In Jacksonville Taylor was a stand-up guy, super-accountable and unselfish - willingly working as a duo with Maurice Jones-Drew after having had the lead role to himself. Those are qualities Jack Del Rio and new GM Gene Smith will be looking to infuse into a restructured locker room, and it has to be hard for them to let go of a guy who they could point to as a model.</p> <p>(Here's a link to a <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-88/On-hoping-we-haven-t-see-the-last-of-Taylor.html" target="_blank">December entry</a> on Taylor when he went on IR with a thumb injury.)</p> <p>This season, I heard from many fans who wondered if Jones-Drew should take over as the starter. I didn't believe that would have solved anything at all. Taylor and Jones-Drew were good backs running working behind a line gone bad because of a slew of injuries, and the Jaguars possessed no receiving threat to make defenses back off.</p> <p>Their time together was mutually beneficial. I understand the attraction to the younger and more powerful Jones-Drew. But I think he may have benefitted a bit more from Taylor than Taylor benefitted from him - those defenders getting bowled over by MJD were tired from chasing Taylor. In time, I suspect there will be little question that Taylor was the better and more feared back.</p> <p>Is Taylor finished?</p> <p>Old running backs aren't a popular commodity, and he's not the one-cut-and-go type that's becoming increasingly popular. He's not been a major pass catcher in recent years as Jones-Drew has been on the field more in situations where the Jaguars would throw to a back.</p> <p>But with his shiftiness, Taylor could fit someone's vision for a veteran piece of a backfield. If it's a low-risk, high-reward, incentive-laden contract, then here's an occasion where maybe the general running back age concerns can be put on hold long enough for Taylor to go through training camp and show what he's got left.</p>

More...

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Fred's been so underappreciated his whole career, I'm gonna call it a lock he makes Canton at some point.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

He may be getting old, but I'd have no problem seeing him in a Titans' uniform. He'd be a damn good mentor to CJ.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I'd rather have him in the backfield than LenDale.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

No thankyou. All he would be is a waste of a roster spot.
    If we wanted a mentor, we would have re-signed Eddie George who is only 2 years his senior.

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Eddie George hasn't played in six years, whereas Taylor played (and well) just last year.
    I never mentioned that he would be a long term solution either.
    And if you want to talk about a waste of a roster spot....cough cough...CHen...cough cough.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Replace Lendale with Fred!

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i've been screaming this for 2 years!

9. reo

reo Starter

I'd be very interested in Fred Taylor.

The only problem is that it would be very hard to get all 3 active on game day since none play STs. That would probably mean LW would be inactive which means he'd ***** all season long.

So if you sign Taylor, I'd look into trading White. Maybe package him and a 2nd in a deal to KC to get TonyG since they'll probably lose LJ and need a power back to go w/ Charles.

Don't forget, the Titans were so close to completing a deal for Tony before the trade deadline that NFLN reported that it was done but the KC GM up'd the price at the last second and the deal fell through.

On top of that make a play for Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson and maybe sign Mason once he's released and you've got a killer offense of Gage and Chad on the outside, Mason in the slot, Tony on the line and CJ in the backfield w/ Taylor spelling him.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

oh well. if he didn't spend his first three nfl seasons being fat and out of shape we probably wouldn't be looking for an upgrade.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar