David Givens Suing The Titans For $25 Million Dollars

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gene the PIG, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm highly skeptical. I just don't see Fisher and company doing something like this. Fish seems to legitimately care about his players. And Starkiller brought up an obvious good point I didn't even think about... if his knee (and career) could've been saved by surgery why would the Titans not let him get the surgery to protect their investment? Also, I'm really curious as to how Givens obtained these memos 3 years after the fact.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

he should be suing his weak :grrr::grrr::grrr: knees.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

4. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

I'm not buying it. like someone else said, the titans invested in him so why would they just throw it away

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

This is just silly.

6. iQon

iQon Starter

Favre didn't get anything, those fines go to the league.

I'm sure he's been looking for compensation for a while now. This didn't just get drawn up overnight.

7. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Titans ought to sue him for being a waste of good FA money...

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

This was his "medical" prior to the titans offering him a contract.

Patient's have rights of full disclosure of any medical testing, however, there are legal obligations for physicians to inform patients of test results. I don't know if these rights to his medical exam can be (or were) waived, or were not mentioned in the contract he signed with the Titans.

The fact that the attorney issued a statement that it was "malpractice or negligence" reveals this is a "shotgun" case- take a shot and hope to get a sympathetic jury that will get him some money from somebody. I'm sure they are going after the doctor as well.

In malpractice cases, there has to be damages (which there clearly are) and a failure to meet the regional standard of care. Obviously, the latter is what will be tested with the suit.

The legal question here is "is there a standard that an organization needs to provide the results of medical testing that they ordered on an employee" or is it the employee's responsibility as a patient to obtain those results. It will be an interesting argument and one the titans will probably wind up settling to avoid a long court process unless they have clear language in the contract Givens signed that specifically addresses this issue.

9. alabamawoody

alabamawoody Camp Fodder

Was the doctor's report before or after he signed the contract? (Timing to me sounds like before)
    If this was the physical he would have had to take before signing his contract, team would have been CRAZY to pay him the kind of money they did knowing he was running around on a toothpick waiting to break. If the supposed defect was found in physical after the contract was signed then the only reason to take ANOTHER physical, right after signing a contract, would have been because of injury of some sort and at that point would make no sense not to protect the investment by having surgury.

Whole thing sounds like high dollar extorsion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar