Do we really need a #1 WR? A look back at 1999.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wplatham, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

So everybody is upset that we didn't take that game-breaking wide receiver that we all expected. And rightfully so. Our receivers last year were far from Pro Bowlers. While I was in the mist of wondering about this, I got to thinking about our AFC championship team in 1999. I realized that, off the top of my head, I couldn't think of our big time wide receiver. So I did a little research. Below is our list of receivers and there production in 1999.

Name - Receptions - Yards - Touchdowns
    Kevin Dyson - 54 - 658 - 7
    Yancey Thigpen - 38 - 648 - 4
    Chris Sanders - 20 - 336 - 1
    Isaac Byrd - 14 - 261 - 2
    Derrick Mason - 8 - 89 -0
    Joey Kent - 3 - 42 - 0

So looking at the list, the answer to my question is right in front of me. There wasn't a big time receiver. We didn't have a stud receiver catching 80-100 passes a year. In fact, our leading receiver was Frank Wycheck with 69 receptions. So my question is, do the Tennessee Titans really need a stud wideout to get to the Super Bowl? Or can history repeat itself again? The history of the organization says we can. What does everybody else think?

Just something to chew on. Maybe a little lighter discussion. Something to take everybody's minds off of the names Chris Johnson and William Hayes. :gag:

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I have a name you might remember: Eddie George.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I got another one ..... Jevon Kearse

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

and another... Jimmy Dean

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

the sausage guy?

6. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

A #1 WR gets that extra yard, pretty sure the debate ends there

7. wplatham

Eddie George definitely was a beast in '99. But what if our backs as a whole match what Eddie did then? Could we make it without the wideout then?

I think KVB comes pretty close to matching Kearse then.

8. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

You are exactly right, we don't need a number one receiver to go to the SB. We can be sucessful without one. Another example of a team with no number 1 receiver and had great success, is the Patriots. Yes, they have Randy Moss now but they didn't have him for a long time and won plenty of Super Bowls.

9. wplatham

Another example would be Chicago getting into the big game two years ago.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

obviously the FO thought we needed a WR, otherwise we wouldn't have drafted dyson in the first round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar