Do We Sign a Vet QB Still?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

With the recent drafting of Mr. Jake Locker do you guys think we will still sign a vet FA QB to start? Reinfeldt said in an interview yesterday they are still looking at QBs, but most people think we're out of the running for any big name FA. According to ESPN: "they surely are out of the mix for names such as Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer and Kyle Orton, and more likely to look back to Kerry Collins".

Do you guys want Jake Locker to start year 1? Or bring in a QB who can play a couple years while Jake sits? Or maybe re-sign KC for 1 year, to let Locker sit just a year?

If you want a FA, who should we target realistically?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

In the interview after the pick, Reinfeldt said we will still pursue a veteran QB. I'm thinking Bulger or Hasselbeck, certainly not anyone who will require trading for. Rookie QB's need that veteran guidance. Since Rusty Smith can't offer that, we've gotta sign an experienced QB as a contingency plan for if Locker isn't ready for Jacksonville week-1.

I'm not sure how I feel about Locker being the guy from the very beginning. I know I wanted him from the time I learned we'd need a new QB. If we have the luxury of developing him behind a guy for a few weeks, lets take that road. He's a tough kid, but I don't see him playing 17+ weeks of NFL football without some setback, injury or benching. He could however IMO play from October and beyond. His style of play concerns me, but after the first hit, he'll get a sense of what he can get away with.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Brett Favre!
    Just Joking!

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I say we throw him in there game 1 and lets see what the kids got... He cant be any worse than Rusty Smith or Kerry Collins...

5. TitanAtl

TitanAtl Starter

If Locker starts from day one we will for sure be picking in the top 10 again next year.

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

At the very least, the team needs someone solid when Locker seperates his shoulder or breaks his hand trying to gain 2 yards on 3 and 8.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd be shocked if Hasselbeck comes here just because he knows the Titans would want to go to Locker as soon as he's ready and I think Seattle would like to keep him.

Bulger is a decent option. He's supposedly looking great but Arizona seems to be the team most think he'll land. I'm thinking they'll go with Collins if he's healthy and try to get Locker in mid-season.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

#1 we still have no choice but to sign a vet. Even if they decide to start Locker I don't think Rusty is ready to be the backup.

As Jeff said, the vets now know with Jake being the #7 pick in the draft that he is our guy. Might mean a guy like Alex Smith won't want to come here. I'm not sure we shouldn't still consider McElroy with a later pick and just go young but I don't see them dong that. They will probably give Chris Simms a roster spot.

9. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Collins does seem to make the most sense right now. He knows the program, he'll be cheap, he knows he'd only be a stop gap until Jake is ready and he has experienced a whole bunch of stuff in his life/career that he can mentor to a rookie.

We may not win out of gate with Collins, but with the new staff he may be the best option right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This. At the pre-draft presser Coach Munchak did mention that they would battle it out for the starting job. So hopefully Palmer works Locker like crazy and gets him ready to come out and win the job. I feel that he has a good chance to beat KFC and Rusty for the #1 spot. But even if he doesn't KFC will get us by. Good thing we open the season against Jacksonville.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar