Does Reese survive this?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I'm sure the coach in Cleveland said the same about Kennard Lang, Mike Myers, Gerrard Warren and Ekuban...

And I think it's a little bit naive to believe that LT and Sirmon are playing because they're head and shoulders above their backups. While we don't get to see what happens at practice some of the backups have looked very impressive in the limited gameaction they've seen.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Got any examples? Tulloch looking good against scrubs in a preseason game?

Let's be realistic here. Fisher's head is on the chopping block. Do you honestly believe he is doing anything less than what he thinks gives the Titans their best chance to win?

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Finnegan has looked good. Fuller, though seeing suprisingly little time, also looked good. Even Lowry has in my mind looked better than LT.

Oh I'm sure he's doing what he thinks is best, I just don't think he's right.

4. TitanJeff

Then that is where you may want to focus your efforts to get someone fired. With Fisher gone, you get rid of Schwartz and everything else you want.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

That's exactly it. People clamoring for the rookies always amaze me. The coaches see these guys in practice every day....they know if they are ready to be put on the field. It's not just how athletic you are, but do you understand coverages and defensive formations....do you recognize offense sets or know what to do if a QB checks off. Tulloch may look good for 7 out of 10 plays, but that won't get it done in the NFL.

6. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

i disagree..............losing Runyan was smart.............we got Godfrey and Miller for him and saved some money......................and truthfully Runyan has not been worth what he got up there in his first deal and he signed a below market deal last yr to stay in philly...............................the 01 trade for Carter cost so much free cash it rippled down and we got very little in return for the cap spent..............was KC a good player sure...............but like EG he was not worth what we gave him and those dollars could have went elsewhere................and it caused us to lose other guys..............................the other killer was EG's contract right after 2000 and his subsequent injury..............he was never the same but we paid him elite money.........and Fisher compounded it by staying too long with eddie and backing him....................wycheck last deal was no good either.................even he admits it......................then the bad drafts occured...............and things snowballed.

7. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

your post asssumes Fisher has no coaching biases............and to a degree so does TitanJeff's position...................Fisher has repeatedly shown to favor vets over rookies because of his preconcieved biases............the roster decisions are littered with guys cut for scrubs.............and for backups stuck behind starting scrubs.........gusy wanting to bury FR love to overlook that fact.........................and Fisher is singlehandedly responsible for JS and his performance since 01 and has protected him...............................and that alone is reason enough to think change maybe good.......................if Fisher would budge on some things I think I would be OK with keeping him but when guys like KB sit for two yrs and guys like Sirmon and LT play over others something should be rightfully questioned.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I know. The problem is Fisher is also responsible for the offence and ST, and I approve with the way that's heading (especially now that Piller's out), so he's doing 33% bad and 66% good, so on the whole I'd like to keep him, just get a serious adjustment on defence.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

What good is recognition if you can't get there in time to make the play (ie. Sirmon)? I'd rather have someone who makes 7 out 10 plays because he misses a read on 3 of them, rather than one who misses 10 out of 10 because he doesn't have the physical tools to get it done.

And Sirmon is neither big and strong enough to take on blockers head on nor is he fast enough to make plays on edges.

10. TitanJeff

Let's not put words in my mouth.

Yes, Fisher sometimes stays with a vet well past their prime. But Fisher also will take consistency over a playmaker if that playmaker makes too many mistakes. Vets tend to be those types of players.

We see someone like Tulloch who has much better speed than Sirmon and hits hard. A guy like that might make some stops behind the line. But you have to weigh that against the times the guy will blow an assignment and be the key reason a big play is given up.

We can't know how Tulloch is doing in practice being where he is supposed to be. Same for Fuller and Lowry.

If these guys are outplaying the starters consistently in practice and Fisher still doesn't play them, then he should be shown the door. But as important as it is for Fisher to win this season, I can't see him playing the loyalty game.

Also, he's moved Sirmon from his preferred position and has openly called out LT. That doesn't sound like a coach who is playing favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar