Ever have a credit card number stolen?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I had it done the old fashioned way. Waitress at a restaurant took down my info and went on an online shopping spree after work, shipped everything to her address under her name and everything.

CC company keeps a decent eye on this stuff. I just made a $3k purchase in CA and they called me to see if it was legit.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

:lol:

Sorry but that's funny to me, I wonder how often that happens.. seems pretty easy from your story. Conceivably they could do it any time you gave paid by credit card..

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

She got everybody at my table. Ran up like $7k in an hour.

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

It's happened twice. One I know was flat out "stolen" by an employee at a stop in Cool Springs. The other time I believe it was stolen by an employee of an online retailer.

Both times the CC company covered the charges..

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It happened to me a few months ago. I have no idea how they got my number, but someone in London charged a round-trip flight to somewhere obscure and bought a Gucci handbag. Cost around $4,000 in total.

I agree that it was relatively easy to handle. Visa had no problems cancelling my card and sending me a new one. The only hassle was going without my card for a couple of weeks.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This seems pretty common.

Someone asked earlier about future use of the card and it can't be used any more. The number is dead and they are sending me a new card with a new number.

Many of these retailers must not ask for any additional ID anymore. I'd think if a purchase was over a certain amount, it would be automatic.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Someone stole my credit card info once and spent 1500 dollars at a hockey store in Denmark or something.

I got a strange email containing a bunch of people's name, address, SSN, Credit card numbers, including my own, from a UK address.

I wonder why they would have sent the person they stole from, the notice of doing so???

anyway, reported it and got it cleared. They said to use a credit card for online purchases, not debit. Easier to challenge credit card fraud because it doesn't come right out of your account.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Sorry to hear that. I've never had it happen to me... I've always been curious how it happens so often.

I think most people are pretty careful with their cards. Do these thieves have photographic memories or what?

I guess it's most likely hackers that get it from the web.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Out of interest TJ, were your details on PSN when it went down last year?

I've never had it happen to me, but it happened to my Dad...but that's because he left his credit card in South Africa.

Apple stole money from me once though. I reported it, the bank refunded me and then Apple refunded me so I got paid twice. lol.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Funny you mention that

I carry no cash, only use a debit card. On the back I wrote "Please see I.D."

I have been doing this for about 3 years, and only once has anyone asked me for ID. A few times they actually turn it around and look at it too:sad2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar