Fisher loses coach of the year

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Playmaker, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fisher started out bad,then redeemed himself, a lot of people were calling for his head and he turned it around to 8-8, you can say that he did more with less, but at the start of the season, I was predicting .500 at the best...

I believe Mangini deserved it, but hey Payton has been a great coach this year...

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Fish got us that 0-5 record by not making changes when he should and not starting VY -- well, not so much starting him, but playing Kerry Collins instead. Different if we had gotten into the playoffs, and Jeff controlled that aspect of our destiny for the first five weeks of the season as well. And what if Pillar had never gotten injured? There's no telling how long he would have continued to play. Fisher did fine after he got past by hook or crook the big management decisions (Bud really never should have had to get involved), but he waited until the last possible moment. Maybe he thought he'd look bad if starting VY blew up in his face (sure protecting him to some degree would have been the concern, but I believe there is a connection to how much it also served his own future). He played that conversatively as he does other things. And he takes chances in other areas, that's the thing! He has to learn the balance, but he almost sunk the ship this year, and it was by the grace of them all that it righted itself. On the other hand, had he started Young sooner and made the right calls in the O-Line at least, nevermind the secondary that still has changes to go, then we could all heartedly be calling him a genius at this point in the year. As it stands, he fell short. This is, I hate to say, the mirror of his coaching tenure. It could be great, but it amounts to slightly above average. But hey, I believe he can really deserve the top 5 mantle. To me, he has some moments where he deserves it, but he could really capitalize on it. He holds himself back too much, and sometimes the team suffers for it. I'm glad we have him and look to have him long term, but he's going to have to really step up after being HC for these 12 years to deserve the next several. I think he can do it, and hopefully wins the award soon. It was within his reach this year, but he didn't find the pair he needed until he couldn't go without them any longer. And that's the bottom line.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Nice post.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thanks. Yours, too. It really cut to the chase. Those nine weeks (including preseason) were as bad as the last 11 were amazing. And that amounts to slightly above average. Not everything was Fish's fault, but he threw in as much sh## as anyone else did. He just finally let everything happen the way it should, or realized the wash cycle actually needs detergent to get clean but he was being stingy and didn't want to use up the detergent he just bought. :ha: What a convoluted analogy. I don't care to clean it up, though.

5. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Fisher was voted the 3rd best out of 32. Not too shabby.

6. He was actually voted 4th best, but still very good...

7. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

:barf: Sean Payton...

8. i never thought that he had a chance to win it... fisher that is

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You guys are serious homers haha. It's alright though. New Orleans has less talent than we do, and Payton made them far better than they were last year. Fisher broke even, and that's what I expected the team to do during the offseason.
    Great coaches don't start seasons 0-5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar