Fisherball wins in the NFL..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1

Many people denounce Jeff Fisher's run first style of football as old fashioned and not modern but almost all the newer head coaches in the league are winning by running the ball. Jeff Fisher's philosophy is right it just is a matter of executing that philosophy.

7 of the top 10 teams in rushing yardage are going to the playoffs if the season was over now. We have seen terrible teams get much better by running the ball. The Bucs improved from 23rd to 11th in rushing and are a playoff contender. The Raiders are running the ball. The patriots who most would consider a passing team are 13th in rushing yardage.

Are John Harbaugh and Rex Ryan running a spread?

The most interesting case is Todd haley in KC. Haley was supposed to be this passing game expert, the genius behind the Cardinals great passing game. So what does he do as a head coach? He plays smash mouth. The chiefs lead the league in rushing yardage by a wide margin. They also have a pretty good defense led by Romeo Crennel.

The objective of Fisherball is to have a top 10 defense, finish in the top 10 in rushing yardage and be in the top 10 in time of possession. Do those three things and you almost certainly will win. This year we are not getting that done.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Is Rex Ryan a great example of ideal football? He just got buried 45-3 against a real coach on MNF.

He's another one you could claim has not lived up entirely to potential with his star-studded roster.

Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Dustin Keller, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, LT2, A-Cro, Revis... the list goes on.

What does he do with them? Lose 45-3 on MNF. Sounds very Fisher-like, that much I can agree.

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Fisherball isnt just run first. Fisherball is conservative and predictable playcalling, with no nizzle trickplays or surprises (except throwing 40 times with a rookie, shaky QB and only ~10 run plays, but that's just stupid). It might work when your teams is better than the opponent, player by player. But it doesn't beat equal or better teams.

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. amstrf89

amstrf89 Starter

Certainly that's not Fisher's fault :rolleyes:

5. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

There is a good piece on NFL.com with Brian Billick and Jim Mora talking about toxic differential as the key to winning in the NFL.

Full story (and video) here.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea you CAN win by running, but obviously other things must happen. And those things are not happening in TN. C.J. needs to be bigger, O-Line needs to play better, and the defense must also show up.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans have not played Fisherball since Eddie George's 403rd carry in 2000.

The Jags, last Sunday, played Fisherball. They did to the Titans what the Titans used to do to teams in 2000.

I agree that the formula for Fisherball is effective. However, if the opponent scores some points, it's tough to catch up. Getting an early lead is essential.

I do believe the better teams in the league run the football effectively in December which was a big reason I was excited to see a lot of division games for the Titans late in the season.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Are you that dense? seriously?

Rex ryan has won 64% of his games and took his team to the afc championship last year. The jets still have one of the best records in the nfl.

Go back to school.

And since when is Mark Sanchez an elite QB? He is only in his 2nd season.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You put a quote of my post but obviously didn't read it. I said it was Fisher's fault if the team can't execute the strategy.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I disagree with that. 2008 is a great example of how to win with that style of ball(5th in rushing attempts, 25th in pass attempts) and 2002-2003 are also good examples.

In 2002 eddie george had 343 carries despite only averaging 3.4 ypc and i think we led the league in TOP. That is a team committed to running the ball.

Now while a great running game and a top 10 defense can make up for mediocre QB play you still need a top 10 type QB to win a super bowl.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar