Football Question from Monday Night

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Stephen Dugan, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Stephen Dugan

Stephen Dugan Starter

Golden Tate catches the long pass and runs it in for a TD. About 15 yards from the endzone he turns and taunts the defender that was chasing him, drawing a 15 yard penalty.

Here's the question, Let's say the defensive player were to just go all out and tackle him after he scored, that would likewise draw a penalty flag. Would that then be offsetting penalties and replay the down? (You could also use any other penalty on the Rams for this scenario.)
  2. Young54

Young54 The KID

Good logic, but no. I don't believe they would be offsetting penalties, because one penalty occurs AFTER the play is over.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  3. Dman

Dman Starter

SCORE AND PERSONAL FOUL OR UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT FOUL BY OPPONENT
    Article 14 If a team scores and the opponent commits a personal or unsportsmanlike conduct foul or a
    palpably unfair act during the down, the penalty is enforced on the succeeding free kick unless the
    enforcement resulted in the score
  4. Stephen Dugan

Stephen Dugan Starter

So what if a Rams penalty occurred before the end of the play? I know in the grand scheme of the team this is irrelevant, but it's driving me nuts thinking about.
  5. Dman

Dman Starter

the score would most likely still count but both penalties would offset and kickoff would be normal again.
  6. Stephen Dugan

Stephen Dugan Starter

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight.
  7. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH! Tip Jar Donor

Since it was Golden "Taint"...he should have been suspended for the rest of the season and fined 2 mil. Hate that M' Fer!
    • High Five High Five x 2
  8. Dman

Dman Starter

thats a good question tho, I mean these rules can get confusing. I think scoring plays are ruled differently than non scoring plays obviously.
  9. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Namaste

Rams been talking mad ish to their opponents... The taunting wasn't unwarranted.
  10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

They probably have the two biggest punks at CB in the league.

I loved Finnegan, but I always considered him a punk - on the field - even with us.