For those of a certain age and might like Punk/Alternative rock...

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Big TT, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Big TT

Big TT Pro Bowler

Punk was a musical term in the late 70's early 80's. Lot of diverse bands were placed into that category. Notice I also listed it as alternative. Perhaps the Furs would be better listed that way.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow CEO of PPO

Yea but alternative rock might be the most vague term in all of.......well life. Not knocking the music, just before my time.
  3. Big TT

Big TT Pro Bowler

Fine. LOL
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor Tip Jar Donor

yeah a lot of bands I liked from that period definatly fell into that category. Of course with time they get moved around some .

The Cars were avantguard, however thats spelled. But now its elevator music. Devo was, well whatever it was, and still is. Thankfully I think they hung their guitars up and went back too the backwoods of Ohio. Talking Heads still sound 'fresh' too my ears. I have no idea what most of their songs are about, but the music behind them is awsome. I still say the greatest concert I ever went too was the B-52s. I think they were thought of as 'punk' at the time, now its mainstream. My kids like them, or else they are smart enough too say that anyways.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. onetontitan

onetontitan Fire, walk with me.

My dad was obsessed with the Furs.

I never really got into them but they don't sound too shabby.
  6. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

The genre is now called "classic alternative", and it includes novelty acts like Romeo Void, Flying Lizards and early REM b-sides as well as all the 80's New Wave that wasn't A-Ha or The Thompson Twins. Radio.com's Classic Live 105 in San Francisco plays it, and Slacker Radio has a classsic alternative station as well.
    Those of you under 30 should check it out...tune your smartphone into it for a couple of days. Some if it will seem really strange to you, but it really is a sound that you won't find anywhere else and there are some really good songs from that period.
  7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan Pro Bowler

Only thing I know by the Furs is 'Love My Way' and that's a great, great song.
  8. CRUDS

CRUDS GIV'R! Tip Jar Donor

Psychadelic Furs were not punk or alternative in any era.
    possibly New Wave but I'd say simply 80's pop..

I do like PFs though.
    God the 80's music culture was so much better than today's..
  9. CRUDS

The early Devo and B-52's stuff is MASTERFUL! Such great great stuff
    Nobody does it like that anymore.
    I want to kill Justin Beiber..

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. CRUDS

And I would add that a whole bunch of that great old 80's stuff was produced/engineered by a GoTitans member slash huge Titans fan..