Franchise Has Its GM And QB But Needs Coaching Upgrade To See Wins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

We've heard a lot about Mariota struggling but change the coaching,play calling and add a simple weapon or two and everything will be fine. The worst possible thing you could do is trade Mariota because he can play and he can win games with the right coach,staff and play calling.

From 1999 until 2012 the Titans had 7 winning seasons,6 playoff berths,3 division titles,2 years with league best record,1 super bowl appearance. Sure from 2012 through 2015 the team went through hell due to having a bad GM and a bust at QB lots of teams waste 4 losing years this way but correct it by picking a better GM and QB which is what Tennessee did.......BUT there is that word but they failed to correct one last thing........coaching.

AAS did some good things but the farce coaching search still has me hot under the collar.

Since 1999 when the Titans began play with Fisher as head coach this team has never ever had a decent coach besides Fisher. Every single coach this team has had has either been a complete farce in Munchak an offensive line coach promoted to head coach in the NFL that never happens,a washed up retread in Whisenhunt who was 3-17 in his last twenty games in Arizona then comes here and goes 3-21 or something similar,then AAS trots Mularkey out in front of the fans and his total coaching record is 19-41.

WAKE UP AMY,WAKE UP UNDERWOOD THE FANS ARE SICK OF BEING FED POORLY RAN POOR QUALITY FOOTBALL!!!

Whats up with all the piss poor coaching choices including this archaic staff we have now????

Why can't we get a Harbaugh,Carroll or Arians here???????????

We can. I have the feeling since Mularkey wasn't Jon Robinson's choice that he will be changing head coaches in the future.

All thats needed is better coaching we have the GM and the QB.

Agree????

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RTH

RTH Meh...

They worked really hard on the coaching search.

• LOL LOL x 4
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Firing coaches just makes the fans happy because there is that same optimism that the next guy will be the one that leads us to greatness. Same mentality when we draft a stud out of college to be our QB. It takes far more than that. If a coach or QB doesn't have the talent around him it's useless (but I concede that Belichick can do more with less than anyone in the league). The trouble is that he is the only coach I know of that an accomplish that, and that has a lot to do with Kraft having his back. Adams was a meddlesome owner, and hamstrung Fisher a great deal by his interference, but hey, it was his team to play with. This is why Fisher left. I have no idea how much authority is divided between Jrob and Mularkey. Some coaches get a say so, others just get paid to coach whoever is drafted. Hiring Jrob is a step in the right direction, but our problems won't be fixed overnight, and chopping heads this soon will only lead to more instability. You have to see exactly what you have first, and see if it's able to be fixed before you discard and replace. We have been losing for years, and I am still unsure why after this long we are so short on talent. The league tries to create parity and compensate those that lose. We seem to still be about 6-8 players away from a playoff caliber team, and that's in a very weak division. It's impossible to evaluate what you have until you are hitting on all cylinders. It's very hard to be patient after so many years of losing, but this is the reality right now.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Yeah they like the fans to believe they did.

Bottom line is this. Outside of Jeff Fisher every single decision that has been made regarding the head coach has been terrible. Horrible.

While other teams went out and made quality hires back in 2011 the Titans hired an offensive line coach to be head coach......

Whisenhunt. Lost 11 out of his last 12 in Arizona and in 2010,2011 and 2012 seasons there he did nothing but lose in Arizona had an 18-30 mark so why bring him to Tennessee in the first place??

After the 2014 season Whisenhunt had a 3-25 record in his last 28 games.

Then they go hire freakin Mularkey who is 5-23 since 2012 in his last 28 games!!!

Can we please for once since starting in Nashville have a serious top notch search and get someone who has won something recently not 10 years ago.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

We don't even need an amazing coach...Just someone respected that can play to our strengths and adjust.....It's mind blowing how bad our hires are.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

IMO, we'll know whether or not Mularkey has what it takes beginning Sunday.

Here's the deal. He and Robiskie created this offense. We've only seen it for three games. Chemistry takes time.

It was clearly effective against the Vikes who have shut down two solid offenses since. Remove the turnovers and that game goes to the wire.

Since that game, the offense has only been effective in spurts. Flaws have been exposed beyond the poor ball protection of Mariota. Yet the Titans found a way to win one and compete to the end in the other.

And they did it without their #1 WR who you can bet eliminates a big chunk of the playbook along with Walker out last Sunday.

If we don't see more points after getting Wright and Walker back, then it's time to expect this coaching staff to begin adjusting. IMO, that shows the quality of a coaching staff. The Texans game should tell us a lot.

Though the up-tempo four WR spread offense has been effective, it's also been against defenses who were protecting leads. Defenses would blitz it all day and we've seen how Mariota has played against the blitz so far. Not well.

I am not a fan of this coaching staff but I think it's too early to say they are doing a horrible job. I want to see this offense with Wright and Walker. If Mariota can take care of the football, I think it can keep the Titans in most games this season until Trader Jon can put a true #1 WR on the field.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RTH

RTH Meh...

It was a joke. EVERYONE knows they didn't search.

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Mariota isn't being traded. Ridiculous idea

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

So where are we - 3 games into the season - going to get these "simple weapons"? Without Walker and Wright it's about the best we can do. What plays would you call that would work with the current level of talent we have?

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'd like to believe that TJ, but we're 32nd in scoring. And we move the ball best in no huddle with 4 wide. We're over-balanced with the run calls so that's why statistically "oK" in rushing. We have had a breakaway run that pads the stats also.

This exotic smashmouth with all its shifts is really just chaotic mushmouth. And each of the 3 games has looked the same. Runs stuffed at line when we're doing all this shifting. It doesn't set up our power running well at all. Our short passes are blanketed. And our franchise QB is turning the ball over with fumbles and INT's every game in this system that is supposed to make things easier for him.

I wouldn't be so discouraged if we could actually move the ball AND score with this system. And if our QB's rating didn't have such a tremendous disparity in QBR when in the no huddle 4 wide versus all this shifting. And it really isn't about getting adjusted to it. They've had all off-season and pre-season. It is just apparently a system that is easy to defend. It's just terrible IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar