Free Agent Safeties..aka biggest need

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avespucci, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby Starter

Dont know if this has already been discussed or not, but recently ESPN AFC South Blog shared a link to PFF's Free Agency Tracker. Does anyone know how they arrive at their ratings? Byrd tops their list at +23.7, and Moore is 4th at +6.7. Chung also grades out slightly positive at +1.4. Interesting that Ed Reed grades out negative.

On a side note, it looks like there are some higly rated UFA DT & DE out there who are relatively young and not well known.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Both Landry and Byrd are slow, we have enough slow DB's.

You guys know we're not getting either, so turn your sights to Moore or one of the less known names, or a rookie.

3. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

Yes.. that was the link I posted to start this thread ;) PFF is the top NFL stat recorders around. They utilize tons of data to calculate their ratings. Byrd also tops their list as the best tackling safety in the entire NFL btw....love to have him

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Griffin is probably staying and honestly he's not that bad when he has some talent and attitude around him. We need a SS to come in and play with some attitude and make some hits. I've liked William Moore for a while now, he's a more realistic option than us throwing a lot of money at a top FS when we have Griffin. If we grab Moore and sign/draft another CB and move Verner in the slot we're ready to go. Our defense will be a million times better.

Remember they tried Griffin out at SS because there was basically no one else and failed horribly. He's not that kind of guy, he's more of a ballhawking type who wants to play back but when he doesn't have any support from his SS than he'll struggle more than usual. I mean when Chris Hope was here and actually had some good seasons with us before his last Griffin was a pro bowler.

Still think Griffin sucks (overrated) but just saying adding a good SS will go a long way.

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

As long as we significantly upgrade the offensive line, I wouldn't care if we started the season next year with the exact same safeties we had in 2012. At least maybe we could get more first downs the ones we have could rest.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

Kenny Phillips might be another name we look at.

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Sad part: we didn't franchise him. We gave him a 5 year deal, best I remember, worth north of $30million. Please tell me I'm wrong about this....

8. JCBRAVE

Youre wrong about that, feel any better?

9. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

please tell me you're kidding. Our defense was dead last in points allowed and by far the biggest reason was that our safeties were a joke.

We can address o-line in the draft, heck could spend every draft pick on it and we'll be fine.

The idea that we could get a primetime safety in the draft is slim to none though so that's why we should address that in free agency.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If we don't sign a SS we better be getting Matt Elam

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar