Pre-Game Thread Game 3: Chargers @ Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Chargers are 9-0 against the Titans since 1993 with a 262-123 score advantage. Yet the Titans are a 3-point favorite according to the odds makers in their season home opener.

The 1-1 Chargers have averaged 400 yards of offense in their first two games while allowing 480. The Titans are averaging only 238 while allowing 323. The Chargers have averaged scoring 30 while allowing the same. The Titans have scored an average of 20 in their first two games while allowing an average of 19.5.

Keys to the Game
    Rivers looks like he's turned back the clock in the Chargers first two games. He already has 614 yards passing with 7 TDs on only 1 INT. His 115.8 passer rating places him third behind Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers.

Keeping pressure on him Sunday will be important and I expect to see a lot of blitzes from the Titans. This means Rivers will be looking for Antonio Gates who has owned the Titans over the years. Solid coverage on Gates is a must as is making the Chargers drive the field and not give up the easy score on a big play.

In their first two games, the Chargers have played the run fairly well though much may be due to their inability to defend the pass. LeSean McCoy only gained 53 yards on them last week (though had 114 receiving). The combo of Foster & Tate combined for 112 yards rushing which was due, in part, to the Texans falling behind. I expect we'll see the Titans continue to focus on establishing the run first with the goal of staying on the field, keeping the Titans defense fresh and keeping Rivers on the sidelines.

Though Jake Locker has only averaged 141 yards passing per game, the potential is there for him to have a big day through the air and I would not be surprised to see Titans OC Dowell Loggains call some deeper shots just to give the running game more room.

The Titans defense has started slow in the first series of each of their first two games. If the Titans want the fans to stay in this game, they can't fall behind early.

I think the Titans bounce back after a tough loss in Houston. As long as they take care of the football, the 9-0 losing streak should end with the Titans winning big.

Titans 27-Chargers 17.

Attached Files:

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

I may softly weep if the Titans win.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

somehow rivers went undrafted in most of the league's Im in

As of now hes on my bench behind Newton but if we let this guy go off on us in real life I will cry

4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

we need to make rivers cry in real life........ forget fantasy, i want him crying like a baby looking for his mommy by the time our defense is done with him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I just want a win. I want to be 4-1 heading out to Seattle. That way we're still in good playoff position after we host the '9ers. After that game we'll only have the Rams, Colts x2, Jags x2, Raiders, Cards, Broncos and Texans left.

6. LiLTex12

LiLTex12 Starter

One game at a time. Needs to be the Titans main focus at this time. Please no more TE TD's. I can't take it any more. Hopefully Fokou and Zach can do a good job covering them. Also, it's a new defense that Phillip isn't use to seeing. He's use to seeing a 4 rush, drop by 7. That's not going to happen any more. Live and die by the 5-6 man rush every 2nd or 3rd and decently long.

New defense gets to Phillip. Crowd plays a big factor.

Titans 30
    Chargers - 17

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Manti Te'o also out. He has a funeral that day.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Against the Chargers, I feel a change in the air and a new winning streak for the titans!

For that to happen, they MUST take care of the football and not give up the big play on defense. Here's a closer look...

The Titans on defense will start with the same concept...stop the run, force them into 3rd and long, then kill the QB or force a bad throw. Looking at the numbers, Rivers making BIG PLAYS has been the winning solution for them. They are running for 100+yds a game but with a sub 4ypc avg. The key will be stopping Gates and Woodhead on 2nd and 3rd and long (and not falling asleep on the WR's). I expect the Titans D to use some exotic personel and defenses to try and confuse Rivers to hold it longer or bait him into an INT. So far, the Chargers are converting 3rd down at an astounding rate and we can NOT allow that! I think we will control their run game and force it into Rivers' hands, but how well we pressure him and contain gates and Woodhead will be key to us forcing them to march the field and limit points.

On offense I think we should have a break out day and it will, as always, start with the run. Opposing teams have avg 110 yds per game rushing with a robust 4.7ypc! As if that wasn't enough, opposing passing game have thrown a rather insane 9.4yard per attempt avg for 740 yards or 370yards passing against them. Those are some gaudy stats!!! In addition, the Chargers don't have many QB sacks on D and only 1 INT. They appear to be a bend but dont break D that is doing advanced Yoga poses and relying on Rivers to pull it out.

We need to take the lead, control the clock, sustain drives, take care of the rock, and keep Rivers on his back. I expect a lot of 3 S sets and nickel/dime to matchup with Woodhead and Gates. I also expect the D to be a bit more aggressive in the first drive!

Gut

9. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

George Wilson will be covering Gates. He held Daniels to no receptions I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar