Helmet Rule Passes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by acqua7, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

No more of this :(

2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Let's say the rule is implemented as intended and used only in blatant cases of spearing. What's wrong with the rule?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

If I understand the rule correctly, it isn't that bad...

It is illegal to lead with the crown of your helmet. You probably shouldn't do that anyways. You can still lower your head and drive your helmet into your opponent, just not the with the crown. That's spearing and can be dangerous to the RB.

Luckily for us, CJ never lowers his head because he doesn't need to, and Michael Griffin gets run over by all RBs, so maybe we'll see a lot of flags in our favor.

• High Five High Five x 5
  4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

From what i've heard, it has to be pretty obvious for a penalty. Literally the 'crown' of your helmet. Just lowering your shoulder/head as a runner doesn't get you a penalty. I remember on ESPN they said it has to be like this:

I could be wrong though.

5. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

That's what I was thinking. I just don't understand the uproar over a rule that bans doing something you were explicitly taught not to do in the first place and could freaking paralyze you (see Eric Legrande). There are of course rules that I disagree with but I don't have a problem with most of what Goddell has implemented over the years. Football is a dangerous enough sport without idiots running around spearing people.

6. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Too subjective

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Michael Wiffin is now petitioning on twitter to get this video removed from the internet and calls it "a mean and hurtful play by Turner that doesn't belong in the NFL"

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I can see a RB getting called for leading with the head of his helmet, when he really didn't during a crucial time in the game. Just watch.

The refs better learn to keep those flags in when there is a pile up and only use it when it's clear and blatant in the open field.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

That's not an illegal hit. We're still screwed.

10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

So what you're saying is there is nothing wrong with the rule itself just how the refs might interpret it? If so I agree. Refs are far too liberal with their use of flags. It's seems every damn deep ball that doesn't result in a TD is flagged for pass interference.

Corners are the most perscuted players in the game. Always at a disadvantage and have their hands literally tied when they try to level the playing field. People should be up in arms about that. Every other play is a damn PI and it slows the game down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar