how much worse

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by omahacolt, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's hard to repeat a 13-3 season, we've only done it once before...

I'll wait until after the draft, and the schedule comes out, to start making predictions, but I could see us winning anywhere from 9-12 games next season. Big question marks right now, but a solid base on the team.

How far will you guys regress after losing Dungy? I'm betting you have your first non-winning season in a long time. Titans and Texans as the top two teams in the division, Colts at third, Jags struggle in the cellar.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i think you'll find many titans fans don't lament the loss of schwartz. most of us wanted him gone 2 years ago.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

13-3 seasons dont come too often. maybe i should have asked this question in a couple months.

as far as the colts go, it all depends on our o-line and d-line. if we can improve the lines then we will be fine. if it stays the same, we will win around 8 or 9 games.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Not worse... better than last year. Don't look at the record; look at the playoffs... I expect us to go very deep in the playoffs.

Also... don't buy into the easy shedule junk... our division is still one of the best. We played plenty of good teams... and won.

5. iQon

iQon Starter

Next season only looks "worse" because the bar is set so high at 13 wins and that's what people gawk at.

I'd still gauge 11 or 12 wins without even seeing the schedule. Haynesworth was not the defense. If the new DC rotates the DLine like Shwartz did, Haye and maybe one more respectable nose tackle would produce roughly the same results, and you'd only notice Al bolted because we still have cap room to still improve.

LenDale is in an athlete's best year, a contract year, so he'll probably produce more. Hopefully we end up with some respectable, surehanded recievers, because then our run game opens up for Johnson.

I'd say I'm pretty optimistic about next year. The team has rebuilt well.

6. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

You have got to be kidding me. This paragraph is absurd. If you watch any games besides the two he missed you would have seen the effect he had.

I hate having to regurgitate it over and over but some people seem to not realize his worth he had on this team. There is no way we could get his production against the run or pass with anyone we will pick up. That's impossible considering he may be the best DT in the game.

Also I don't get why people are relying on the argument that Cecil will blitz more therefore he won't be missed. Has anyone seen or have any proof of why they argue this? Is this derived from the fact he was aggressive as a player so he must be as a coach? I don't get it. I hope everyone knows that when you blitz you lose a man in coverage. You don't get another player on the field and still have the same coverage. Like blitzing will solve all our problems. People dis Schwartz for not blitzing when IMO if you don't have to it's actually a blessing.

Maybe it's a cups half full idea but don't be shocked when Cecil's supposed blitzing style doesn't pan out the results some people here expect.

7. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

great post MJTITANS! took the words right out of my mouth! i think that we will be fine! man though , we must have really sucked to be 13-3! i mean how could we! we were supposed to go 19-0! colts fans! can't live with em, can't live without em!:grrhee::ha::ha:

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

You both make some good points in my opinion, but have you considered how Haynesworth benefited from our rotation??? How many other teams have sometimes nine D-Linemen activated on game day??? Another thing to consider is that Haye isn't any kind of slouch. His last year playing healthy, he had a season similar to Haynesworth's, and he's still a young guy too. He played injured most of last season, and from what I've read was still among the best in the league in getting pressure on the QB.

I'm not saying Haynesworth is easy to replace and that we will just fill in the blank and continue on like nothing happened, but there were lots of other guys that played well along the D-Line last season, and I believe we still have every reason to remain optimistic about our D-Line. While I think we can't expect any of our players to maybe match Haynesworth's production, it's exciting to think about which one of them or which group of them will be able to have a similar impact that he had. This is a promising group.

I definitely agree that we shouldn't assume that Cecil is going to barge in with guns blazing on a new aggressive scheme, and furthermore, a more aggressive scheme isn't good when you have the wrong personnel. We'll have to have a wait and see approach. We can't forget how aggressive Williams was when he was DC here, but what happened to him last season??? A perfect example of a good time-tested scheme gone bad with the wrong personnel.

9. iQon

iQon Starter

You're right buddy. I wish we had a idiot owner on Dan Snyder's level. Albert Haynesworth is definitely worth the 100 million he auditioned for the past 2 years.

Stop foolin yourself, I'm sure any Titan fan agrees he is the best DT in the game when he's committed and has a deep enough rotation to keep him healthy. I'm also sure Dan Snyder and Al Davis are the only one's who would spend 100 million on him.

The Titans have lost plenty of great players (from their time with us) to free agency. I remember not too long ago, Drew Bennett was our best reciever and he bolted when the Titans wouldn't pay him $30 million (that we could afford) and I was pissed. Look at the poor guy now. If you can't trust the FO and coach Fisher after they got us out of salary cap hell 5 years ago, then why do you still follow this team? They'll fill the loss of AH in due time.

10. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Where did I say anything about retaining him for 100 million? Don't reply and put words in my mouth. Yes 100 million is a lot of money. It's too bad it came to that. I'm upset he's gone and I understand the difference he made here but I also understand why we didn't/couldn't keep him at that point.

So your point of us replacing him with Haye and some unknown player with similar production means ..........

And there was at least one other owner willing to dish out that kind of money. The Bucs even offered more than Washington did but Haynesworth thought the Redskins were a better fit.

Again this has nothing to do with my argument.

The Drew Bennett point is moot. This team revolves around our defense which revolved around AH. I understand the way this league works. My point is only that we will drop in regards to defense. I have never said we will fall of the map but probably 7 spots or so.

I do trust the FO. I trust them alot. Look where they have gotten us in terms of being a contender with cap room. Locking up key pieces like Finny, Stewart and Roos was a great move for good prices. Excellent. But this wasn't the FO decision here. Unfortunately it was AH's. The only knock I would have against the FO is if the story were true that they could have retained AH for four years for 34 million. But who knows the details of that story and the truth of it.

I will always follow the Titans. I stood by when we were in the slums and I stand by now when we are winning. I never have said we will tank nor have I ever said I hate the team to any extent. I just think we will dip in defense and that our offense better come out swinging to make up for it.

Is that wrong?

And no i'm not on the "Cecil will blitz more so that'll fix everything" bandwagon that has formed. I have a lot of faith in him and really hope he succeeds but to form opinions on that based upon nothing is ridiculous IMO. There is a lot we need to wait and see for and i'm holding out but I also understand how big the loss of AH is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar