IMO, no WR with the first pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by fitantitans, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thomas I like, but I wouldn't trade up to get him...cuz I'm pretty sure Johnson would be there at 24.

But I'm not trying to politicize anybody by mentioning Johnson, just to say this: the point is getting a playmaker. I'll say Johnson again to say that if the Titans like our WRs and want to see them fight it out, you could argue Johnson could contribute in the receiving game without directly threatening any of the current WRs...except maybe Chris Davis.

I believe the Pacman trade, while not a deciding one, is a factor in the draft. We must replace his return skills, and that means punt returns more than anything. Carr sets a bar, but overall sets a better standard at KOR. This is to say we stand a better chance of drafting WR or RB that has great lateral agility. (This is also IMO the ONLY reason Desean Jackson can be mentioned in round one, but he'll have hell-o getting off the line of scrimmage) I can easily seeing the Titans valuing the likes of

Eddie Royal
    Donnie Avery
    Ray Rice
    Dexter Jackson
    etc.

in later rounds. If that's the case, then there's a good chance we will have gone defense in round one.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:hang:

3. Fry

:eh?:

when did that happen? we've been TERRIBLE at wasting picks on the second day when i comes to WRs.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Eh heh heh heh...I knew you were going to do that. It's become your trademark offseason pre-draft signature of disapproval. I approve.

5. Fry

it's only depicting what will happen if we draft sweed or johnson in the first.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

No! You fool! We've been GREAT at wasting picks!

We've been terrible BY wasting picks on the second day when it comes to WRs!

This is important.

7. Fry

silly me!

8. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

When you are the team that drafted Pacman Jones it would probably be in your best interest to not draft a criminal. It's not a smart move, period. The Titans will steer clear of anyone with character issues, even the slightest bit, this year for sure. I'd bet everything thing I have on us not taking Hardy. There is no chance in hell that he will be a Titan next year.

I was referring to Manningham's maturity, not his overall IQ. Sorry, I should have clarified.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree more with Sweed than with Johnson. Doesn't really matter as long as he's productive. I guess the right way to say it is, "For some strange reason I feel much more personal disappointment by the drafting of someone truthfully I know very little about." That person is Sweed (more of a letdown, really). And Balmer (a We did what? sort of response).

But I know what you mean. I've read your arguments against Johnson, but I justify his selection at 24, because unlike most rookies, this guy will play. From the beginning. He will have to. And he'd play three roles. He'll catch, basically. He wouldn't be there to be a starter per se, at least not any time soon in any role except returner, but he would be there to be an immediate role player. And that's why he's compelling in round one, because unlike most rookies, he would be guaranteed to play and earn his keep, I think. That's not the most unique point, as in, oh my gosh, expecting a first rounder to actually play, but you get what I'm driving at. That's the crux. That's his potential value.

Other than that, I'm fine with getting him in round two and taking a DE in one, or even Mayo, perhaps. I really place Johnson in round one because of Jackson, though. Cuz I think Jackson will return well enough, but won't be much more than a productive slot receiver, good for around 500 yards per season. That's my big fear with him. Well, if I'm prepared to take that kind of risk (speaking as many do as if I'm "The Organization"), for a 169 lb guy who runs a 4.32, why not do it for a 197 lb guy who runs a 4.24? I bet Heimerdinger could get the same production out of that guy, feel better about his durability, and have a lot more fun doing it.

So anyway, I grade that guy higher. Round one. It's fun. No big whoop.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

^good stuff.

And why do people keep saying that Heimerdinger will do this or that? I'm happy the guy is back, but let's be honest - this offense was pretty much the same dink and dunk with him as it was without him. And its not as if he worked many miracles in NY or Denver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar