Jamie Harper

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

There was a brief discussion on Harper in the draft thread but not much.

I have no idea what level of competion he's facing in the you tube highlights but one thing that can't be denied is that he has fantastic hands as a receiver.

He's exactly the change of pace to CJ that I was hoping for.

Ringer is OK but he's too similar to CJ,we gain nothing new when he spells CJ and hw gives defenses less to account for.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CprghseCTe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Combine Drills

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

At first I really didn't like the pick, then I started doing research and I love it. I think Harper is the spell back we need, he even spelled speedy RBs in college (Ellington and Spiller). He kinda reminds me of Michael Turner, just needs to tack on an extra 5 or so pounds.

I personally think Harper will win the #2 spot from Ringer, and get all the goalline and short yardage carries.. and possibly some extra carries as well.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Well he was ranked 17th among all Rbs by great blue north and 15th by nfl draft scout so hardly a stud. A 3.9 ypc in the acc?

Based on the highlight video he would be our third down back because he does catch the ball well but i'm not sure how that makes him a change of pace back.

Does change of pace mean you play a guy even if he isn't good enough just because he is different?

He wasn't even considered the 5th best back in the ACC since he didn't make even honorable mention. The coaches vote on that by the way.

Looking at him on the video he likes to bounce outside a lot. I didn't see a lot of north south running there.

I just don't buy the change of pace concept. You want to spell your starter you play your 2nd best runner without regard to body type.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So being a spell back in college makes him more qualified than being the stud, the star? Ringer had an incredible college career but being a caddy for somebody else is a reason to like a guy?

5. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

You know guys can be coached and get better right? I'm pretty sure they drafted him beacuse he has upside. And he averaged 4.2 for his career. But that's irrelevant because a power back isn't going to have a high YPC, obviously.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I asked on draft day and will ask again here but does anyone think they want to look at Harper at FB? I've not been overly impressed with Hall the last couple of seasons. He's not a threat at either running the football or as a receiver, IMO. Having a guy who can block for CJ along with be more of a threat coming out of the backfield would pay big dividends.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm happy with the Harper pick. Won't be until training camp til I can get excited about a 4th round RB.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

As a former FB, I can say this confidentially, Hall is a top 5 FB overall. He can NOT rush the football for his life, but can catch. The passes have to be almost perfectly placed for his feet he calls hands to receive the ball, but he can catch to an extent. FB's aren't suppose to be WR's or RB's, but LEAD BLOCKERS! Blocking at full speed is not easy by any means, and shouldn't be overlooked. Half of NFL teams now don't carry a FB on their roster because there are few out there worthy of being an NFL FB. Teams may have a body eating up a roster spot claiming they're a FB, but IMO there's only about 20 or so FB's in the NFL. If you have a true FB, keep him, don't toy with a rare thing. Hall is good and has little wear and tear for a 31 year old. Playing a physical clone of current Jacksonville Jaguar Greg Jones at FB is so tempting tho, I'm actually curious to see how well Jamie Harper blocks on the run, but I wouldn't cut ties with Hall.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

That's not exactly what I meant. I'm just saying he has exp as a spell back, not that it takes much to understand the position. Ringer was incredible in college, but so far he hasn't wow'ed me in the NFL. I'm rooting for Ringer to do something, and I know he hasn't gotten a lot of chances, but I think it's time to move on.

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

sounds to me that he will give us some flexibility with the gameday roster in that he could backup at both RB and FB.

Their have been plenty of solid RBs drafted 4th rnd or later and many RBs who were stuck behind other guys on the college roster as well.

I like the pick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar