Jones Drew up for being traded

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Clark, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I read a article somewhere that was saying that the Jaguars organization really feels that MJD's best days are behind him. His knees were really giving him trouble after the season apparently. Word is, it's nothing that can really be fixed or improve. Trading for MJD and giving him a bunch of money seems awfully risky if that's true.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

The Titans made a mistake by telling CJ they would re-negotiate after the season to get him in camp in 2010. That was CJ's point of contention. Fish worked CJ heavy, he got his 2K season and then the Titans weren't willing to get in the ball park of compensation for a record year. They should have never told CJ they would re-do his contract after the season just to get him to camp. Or at least honor what they told him.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Correct. And I thought the Titans sent him an offer. The devil is in the details and CJ stayed away because the terms and amount didn't suit him. Then the lockout shut it all down.

In all fairness, MJD just signed a contract two years ago which guaranteed $21M. It's not like he's out-performed that contract as CJ clearly had his rookie contract.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

This was the point (the promise) that made me understand CJ's position a little more than a lot of fans. I could also understand the team saying the lockout ruined their plans to negotiate thru the offseason. There was likely some truth to that, but I couldn't blame CJ's agent for telling him not to report until a deal was reached. The Titans front office told CJ he would have a new long-term contract before he showed up for camp. He was just holding them to their word. The lockout did likely screw that whole situation up worse though. Then CJ came in out of shape and the O-Line regressed (run-blocking wise) and created the perfect storm of awfulness that was our running game last season.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

MJD doesn't have much time left...

When CJ held out, he was still only a few years into the league, and was really underpaid. MJD knows his clock is ticking and wants one last payday to live off of for the rest of his life. It ain't gonna happen.

How many "good" years do we think MJD has left? 2 tops?

If he asked for this trade in 2008 or so, he would probably have some good offers. Past their prime RBs don't pull a whole lot of money.

Lest we forget.. Shaun Alexander. One year is the MVP of the league, a disappointment the next year, then cut. Things go downhill fast.

6. pettso

pettso Starter

MJD will not get what he wants. He wants a long term high value deal with a lot of guaranteed money. He's 27 and he has about 1500 carries under his belt. He doesn't have another 5 years of top 3 performance left in the tank (IMO). I think their owner is doing the right thing by putting him in his place.

The Jaguars won't make the playoffs this year with or without MJD so why should he set the precedent of being a pushover. He's using MJD to show players that plan on holding out that he will not tolerate their BS.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

To be honest, the Titans were initially unlikely anywhere close to fairly compensating for the record year that CJ had. Then the lockout, then CJ holding out until reasonable offers were made. The FO also made a mistake posturing publicly about not negotiating until CJ came into camp. My point is that the Titans FO bungled that whole situation up rather than just making an error by "caving" to CJ.

And FTR, I agree that there really isn't a comparison between CJ and MJD and the rationale behind each of their holdouts. MJD is being fairly compensated. I agree he wants one more payday and his unwillingness to compromise suggests he believes his health and future earning potential might be on the decline. IMO that is why he was so irritated by the comment that his holdout "doesn't move the needle" and irrationally responded with his "trade" yammering.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I'll see your Shaun Alexander, and raise you a Frank Gore.

9. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Personally, I'd be surprised to see Jones Drew ever have a season as good as last year again, and I don't see him being an effective starting RB in the NFL for more than 2 more years max.

10. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Detroit has no cap space.

You know who should go out and get this guy? The Jets. Shonne Green sucks, and they NEED a running game, or things will get ugly up there.

I wonder if MJD is one of those guys who would accept a trade to someone like the Pats and take LESS money... is this a "get me off this craphole team" thing, or is it purely a money thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar