Keeping Fancy Goldfish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

What do you think of an 29 gallon aquarium with an over the back 20-40 gallon filter coupled with an under gravel filter with two 178 gph powerheads attached? Is this enough filtration to sustain 3 fantails, 2 fancy telescopes and an algae eater? There is a small amount of aeration from an air pump powered appliance. (dinosaur in egg) I change out 5 gallons of water monthly. How many more goldfish can I safely have? Is that too much current?

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I have always heard that goldfish create more urine and fecal waste than your typical cichlid or other common tropical fish so over-population is something to watch out for. I got out of the hanging filter/undergravel powerhead game a while back and have been using wet/dry for some time with a monthy 25 - 35 % water change monthly and my water tests are always perfect. That was never the case with the undergravel/Whisper set-ups where the PH and nitrites etc. were all over the place..
    Less fish is always better, but if you need to add more watch your levels and agression between the fish - but a huge factor is where you buy your fish. Reputable aquaria shops that can guarantee no inbreeding/mutations and disease-free environmments. One sick fish from "Petsmart" can wipe out an entire tank..

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think goldfish are gay..

Only good for feeding to your oscars.:))

How about a couple of small catfish that eat anything? Probably would ruin the look. I always thought goldfish to be no less clean than other fish because they are basically carp and bottom feed as well.

Unlike cichlids they tend to not be territorial so fish on fish violence shouldn't be a problem. Still you can't beat african cichlids for look and variety.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What to do with sec's problem..

Less fish. Take a couple of those fancy sissy looking carp and fry them up with some cornmeal. Probably tastes like whiting. :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar