Kyle Dale Vanden Bosch

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tenforthewin, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Who said only $5M in guaranteed money? There is more to guaranteed money than just a signing bonus. He had $14M in guarantees in his current contract.

Out of the $13M about $9M might be guaranteed($5M SB roster bonus of $2M each for 2010 and 2011 and remember roster bonuses are considered guaranteed money but if you cut a player before that year he gets none of it.

The justin smith contract was for $7.5M a year with 44% in guaranteed money and 24% of the total was a SB. The deal i'm suggesting would be 69% guaranteed with a 38% SB.

Also smith is 2 years younger than kvb would be next year so i highly doubt he gets a deal like that.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Then KVB definitely wouldn't receive as good a deal 2-years from now, right? So its really not in his financial interest to sign the contract you propose, unless he gets injured or has his worst season as a starter. Otherwise he stands to make the most money possible in his career next offseason.

It makes no sense to me to risk the biggest contract of his life to sign a 2-year extension.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Marcus stroud just signed a 2 year extension for the bills $7M a year on top of a deal that was through 2010. Stroud is 5 months older than KVB.

That essentially is a 4 year deal for $28M the deal with 25% up front and $16M in salary and bonuses for 2009 and 2010.

I'm talking about a deal for KVB that would amount to a 3 year $19.8M deal, $9M guaranteed with KVB getting almost as much in 2009 and 2010 as stroud is getting.

Proposed deal..

2009-$5M SB $5.3M salary

2010-$2M roster bonus $2.5M salary

2011-$2M roster bonus $3M salary

Something like that.

Add a million dollar bonus if he makes the pro bowl if you want.

4. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

lets just sign him for whatever is fair

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You are basically offering KVB $5 mil early to do a two-year deal for $14.5 million since he is already getting the $5.3 base this season.

I think this is going to need to be much longer than a two-year extension. Justin Tuck did a five-year extension for $30 mil with $16 guaranteed. KVB isn't Justin Tuck but he's going to want more guaranteed money than the total extension you propose, IMO.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Injury is a situation beyond control. There is always the possibility of a career ending or career damaging injury and he obviously knows this. All the more reason to sign a deal now.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Justin tuck was 5 years and 4 months younger when he signed that deal than KVB is now.

Tuck's deal is very similar to odom's deal but both were much younger players than KVB. You talk about guaranteed money but again if you cut a player before the cut off you won't have to pay any future roster bonuses so the numbers are misleading.

I'm talking about an honest deal here i suppose we could add an option year with a $10M bonus for 2012 that we never intend to pay like what we did with mcnair and henry. If that is what it takes to get him to sign

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

KVB is a guy I wouldn't worry about extending unless we wanrt to do it because we have CAP money we don't want to leave on the table. I really believe there is a good chance he will come back anyway.

Actually I'm not sure if extending Tony Brown might not be a better idea. If Brown hits FA he will get some nice offers and will probably be gone. Actually the drafting of Marks was not so much because AH left but because Brown could be gone. IMO Brown is a proven solid player. Brown is also 2 years younger than KVB. Looking at our depth we need DTs as much as we need DEs for the future. Sure Brown can't come close to AH in ability but his numbers are pretty solid when compared to guys like Tommy Kelly and Shaun Rogers. In other words Brown is a solid 2nd tier DT and not easily replaced and for the money might be well worth keeping for a few more years past this year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. MaxPayne

MaxPayne 1st Team

An extension is over-due for him I expect him to sign him to a long term deal by the start of the season.

-MaxPayne2k

10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

KVB is as solid as they come and gives it is all every play. I would love to extend him but for too much. He does have a long history of injuries which is how he got here in the first place. I want him and bullock both back but reality is which one do you want? I doubt we sign them both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar