Mock Drafts that don't know anything about our needs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KillerTitanFan, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KillerTitanFan

KillerTitanFan Starter

NFL.com has us picking Aaron Maybin

Peter King has us picking Max Unger

Don Banks has us picking Alphonso Smith

What is up with these people? Do we need our #1 pick to be a DE? Doesn't Mawae have a backup? Would we really need a center this high? Alphonso Smith is only 5'9. I'm sorry, but I'm a fan of the taller corners.

Do these writers just see our pick and just throw a name in there? I'm beginning to wonder what qualifies someone to layout these mock drafts.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

DE is a bigger need than most people realize. Max Unger isn't happening. And Alphonso Smith is a very good possibility. Size means nothing to us seeing how Finnegan is only 5'8-5'9 & Pacman was 5'9. If a CB can play, he can play. Height doesn't mean a whole lot, IMO.

3. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

I think we need a DE more than we do a DT, and the I like the Alphonso Smith pick. I would be pissed if we picked Unger though.

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

If we could get Maybin at #30, that would be the steal of the decade.

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Smith scares me. Yes short CB's can excel but how many of those short CB's run mid 4.4-4.5 and only have a 34 in vertical. They probably have better measurables and he's a pretty weak tackler. His production clearly is 1st round material but at 5'9 190 you got to have more speed and hops to hang with the likes of Wayne, Andre, Holt.

I'd rather take Butler or wait until the 2-3 round area and look at guys like Macho, Mickens, or Martin.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

macho harris and sherrod martin are a lot slower than smith.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Hmmm....I smell a comparison.

Alphonso Smith 5'9 193 lbs. Combine 40 was 4.51 vertical was 34 inches 3-cone 7.09. Choose not to run at pro day.

Sherrod Martin 6'1 198 lbs. Combine 40 was 4.52 vertical was 36 inches and 3-cone 6.6 so at 3 inches taller and 5lbs heavier martin out jumped and showed more quickness then Phonso and their 40 yd dashes were a meager .01 difference. A lot slower huh? Pro day 40 yd. dash was 4.46 and 4.49 and jumped 36.5 inches.

Macho Harris 5'11 197 lbs. Combine ran a 4.68 jumped 33.5 and 3-cone of 6.68. Pro day 40 of 4.46 and 4.5 much more respectable, 34 inch vert. and a sick 3.98 short shuttle showing his outstanding short area quickness and burst.

Both bigger and more physical than Smith as well.

I'll wait for your reply

8. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

People get too caught up in Smith's size and 40 time IMO. If you watch some film on the CB's in the draft, he is easily the best one in coverage. He moves very well and makes great breaks on the ball in coverage. Yeah Darius Butler is taller, faster, and probably the better athlete overall, but if you watch both of them play Alphonso Smith is just the better Cornerback right now. If smith was a couple inches taller he would be a top 10 pick IMO.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I've said Phonso's production and play are first round but when your talking guys like Wayne, Andre, Moss, Holt any of those guys will eat him apart especially when they are great athletes and have better measurables. I'm not an all measurables guy by any means but you think phonso could stick with any of those 4 and 3 are in our division. 34 in vertical and a slower 3 cone scares me more than his forty.

The if Alphonso was a couple inches taller he would be a top ten pick is getting old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar