Training Camp Munchak: Sunday a mixed bag for his quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The starters will play through halftime of Thursday’s game against the Cardinals at LP Field, coach Mike Munchak said Sunday. It will be their most extensive preseason action so far. He opted to wait another day, however, to announce which quarterback will be out there first – Matt Hasselbeck or Jake Locker.

Munchak said the coaching staff would meet Sunday night to discuss their plan for the quarterbacks. He was not ready to say when he would announce the regular season starter. “At some point you just want to move forward and we are reaching that point at that position and others,” Munchak said.

Hasselbeck started the preseason opener at Seattle, Locker the second game at Tampa Bay. Neither played especially well, keeping the quarterback debate alive longer than initially expected. The Titans open the season on Sept. 9 against the Patriots. The final preseason game is Aug. 30 against the Saints at LP Field.

Hasselbeck was better in Sunday’s practice, the last training camp session open to fans. He completed 23 of 28 passes and threw an interception. Locker went 14-of-24. He threw three straight touchdown passes to wide receiver Michael Preston in one goal-line period, but he was off target on a number of throws during scenarios including third down, last play of game, and no huddle.

“I saw some good throws, some pressures,” Munchak said. “It was a mixed bag for everybody.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

It seems like neither of these guys wants to Qb this team. Might as well give Rusty a chance .

3. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

Im worried. Hass will throw many INTs and Locker will miss many WRs with wild throws. Might as well start locker. Its not a playoff year anyways.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Rusty Smith, b*tches!!

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Just do the right thing Munch, start Locker.

6. pettso

pettso Starter

The "right thing" is to start Hasselbeck if you ask me. Locker is not ready.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Either way I am glad it is not my decision. Since neither are sticking out I would just go with Locker. Let him get his bumps early and see if he catches on quick.

8. pettso

pettso Starter

I wouldn't put Locker in for the first 4 games, that's asking for a disaster.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Potentially, I mean the Pats aren't the same on D and I think he can handle the Bolts. After that I am sure his confidence comes up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

If jake finishes strong, I can see him winning the job. But if he looks anything like he did against the Bucs the next two weeks, start MH and just give Jake a bit more time to get the kinks worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar