Musician Thread

Discussion in 'Gear' started by onetontitan, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Fire, walk with me.

So, I have a feeling there are some musicians on this board. I, myself am a drummer and have a question.

Gretsch or Sonor? I need a new kit because I've been playing the same late 80's Ludwig since I could pick up sticks.

Also, I thought this would be a good way of informing people of shows, gigs, etc...
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith has the most poverty RB corp.

I know Cruds, Broken Record, Avvie, and I are all musicians too who play out.

I play a cheap Yamaha acoustic, (solid top, it sounds great) Added a fishman pickup and an EQ from a Taylor, and changed out the tuners for some Grover locking tuners.

I like finding the cheap guitars and working on them a bit. I own 7 acoustics (only 5 of which I would consider "not junk"), 1 classical, 1 banjo, 3 keyboards, 2 basses, 4 electrics, one full drumset, one C0cktail set (very cool, you should check one out), one electronic set.

Overall a pawn shop.. All these together would cost about as much as one "top level" guitar. Whatever that means.

My buddy plays a Taylor, and wore a Taylor shirt to church one Sunday... I asked him if the shirt was 1500 dollars too, since he's paying for the name and all.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff Member

I play a Taylor, but I don't own the shirt. Too frivolous. ;)
  4. CRUDS

CRUDS GIV'R! Tip Jar Donor

A good drummer can make any kit sound nice but my heart is with Gretsch on this one. (not a surprise since you'll find Creeping Cruds members in the header of the Gretsch "products page" on their website -and that my absolute favorite guitar is my Gretsch).
    Sonor has always had a rep as real high quality gear but I rarely, if ever see anyone playing them. Both brands seem to have gotten heavy into the entry-level gear game as of late as well.
    PS: lemme know if you decide to blow out any of that Ludwig gear. My kit is Ludwig and I'm always looking for deals..
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith has the most poverty RB corp.

My new obsession is a very cool looking F-Hole sunburst telecaster from some non-existent company (Corbin, basically straight from China)

[​IMG]

I got it for 150 dollars, got it set up by the guy at the store for free, and I love it. (I play only open tunings so it needed some adjusting)

I'm used to the crunchy humbucker sound, but it's a nice change-up, and it's hard to go wrong with 150 dollars. With a replacement pickup, I'm sure this would sound close enough to a Fender to suit most.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  6. CRUDS

I'd bet the PUs don't even need swapping out. Sometimes those oddball stock PUs sound awesome..
  7. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

I absolutely LOOOVE that s**t! I like taking an axe apart as much as I like playing them live! I broke into the carpentry/woodworking business because I was designing and building electrics as a teen. Just this week somebody brought me a 1966 Teisco Silvertone to restore. Fun stuff!

As for the Gretsch/Sonor OP, I don't know, but GET A WOODEN SNARE FFS!! A plague on all drum manufacturers who saddle beginning drummers with that godawful metal snare. An even bigger plague on MY drummer who is still using a metal snare when he's old enough to know better.
  8. onetontitan

onetontitan Fire, walk with me.

I know what you mean. It sounds terrible.
  9. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

In a semi-related subject, what's being advertised in your banners on this site?

I went shopping for a bass on Zzounds.com, and ever since then they've been running 3 banners of basses on this page. I bought one from them, so now they're showing better deals that I missed out on :ha: I also bought a stage monitor, so they're showing amps and PA gear also.
  10. CRUDS

Wood snare FTW.. though I kinda like those Ludwig Vistalite/Porkpie snares for some stuff as well..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.