Prudent draft approach, what our draft should look like.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by HeadOnASwivel, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

There is only one way to approach this draft and that's with prudence. With the uncertainty of our coaching staff, mainly, Fishers future we have to draft non scheme specific kinds of players. What I mean is we can't draft players that can only play in the 4-3 or 3-4 we have to draft players that can fit both schemes because we just don't know what kind of defense we'll run when a new HC is brought in.

Here's what I'm thinking...

1st - Prince Amakamura CB Nebraska (Assuming Peterson is off the board)
    2nd - DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
    3rd - Kristofer O'Dowd C USC
    4th - Pat Devlin QB Deleware
    5th - Lawrence Wilson, OLB, Connecticut
    6th - Roy Helu Jr. RB Nebraska
    7th - Charlie Gantt TE Michigan St.

Shutdown corners are rare to find and having a stud corner works well in any defensive system.

Hope sucks, we all know this, the question is will he be cut? McDaniel can play either safety position and can run. He'd be a huge upgrade to Hope. Again safety is not scheme specific here.

Amano is probably the most overrated player on the Titans, he's a terrible center and needs to be replaced.

We need a QB obviously but Bud says he expects to win now. Rookie QB's don't win in their rookie seasons but we do need to develop someone going forward.

Small, fast and productive Wilson is more geared for the 4-3 and will have to put on some weight.

CJ is getting killed, he played much of the season injured and I wonder why, LOL? Ringer is OK but nothing flashy and with a team that is committed to the running game we should have 3 RB's on the active roster... cough, cough, Blount. I love Helu, underrated runner and I think he'll run better than expected at the combine.

We can assume Scaife will finally be cut, thank god. That leaves us with 2 TE's one of which can't block to save his life. Gantt is a good blocker that can play H-back as well.

2. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Well thought out post...my only dislike would be not taking DT in the first 3 rounds. We have got to improve the pass rush on the interior of the dline....I would love to see Jarvis Jenkins taken in round 3, with Jake Kirkpatrick in round 4 (we will likely have 2 picks in round 4, one being a compensatory pick). Of course if Haynesworth is brought back that would change, but as things are right now, take your draft and change a couple spots, but keep the overall idea....
    round 1: Prince
    round 2: McDaniels
    round 3: Jenkins
    round 4: Kirkpatrick
    compensatory: Casey Matthews
    round 5: Ricky Stanzi
    round 6: Helu
    round 7: TE

That would take care of about every hole on the roster.

3. 24

24 Starter

Devlin is not doing well at the East-West practices. I've always had my suspicions of him, I don't trust him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

No LB till the 5th and no one on the DL?

I was all for Devlin but if what 24 said was true then pass on him too.

5. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I didn't know he was sucking it up at practices. Fine nix him and add your favorite DT, sound good? :)

6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

The only problem I had taking a DT is that they are, for the most part, scheme specific. Paea for example would be perfectly suited for the 4-3, but not so much for the 3-4 he's too small to play nose. I hesitated mocking DTs or DE's because they are far too scheme specific, same with LB's.

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

There are a few exceptions, like Dareus in round 1. He can play DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. I'd love to take him at #8 overall, and take a corner like Chekwa from Ohio State in the 3rd. I do love Prince though and would not be upset at all with taking him. I just feel like we have to get a DT at some point.

8. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I don't think Dareus will be there at 8, do you?

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I don't, but many mocks have him sliding to us. If he is there, he'd be the pick in my opinion. I like Paea a lot too, but I'm higher on him then most. Like I said though, I'm more then fine with Prince, we just have to get a DT in the 2nd (Drake Nevis) or 3rd if we pass on one in the first.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I'm down with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar