Scaife to Sign Tender

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

We shouldn't trade him for less then a second. Unlike TG he will be in the league for more then one year

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's crazy to me, that the Titans have put so much effort in replacing its TEs, yet the best CB behind Harper (34 years old) is a guy named Faggins?

Using two third round picks (one costing us a 2nd next year), when we already have two good TEs on the roster, I think we are officially obsessed with TEs.

Scaife is good. I'd like to see Crumpler bounce back and be better. If that happens, I don't know what we do.

As I've said many times, I'm not a Craig Stevens believer. I wonder if drafting Cook has anything to do with the coaches not believing in him either. Or if it's more like TitanJeff suggested and we are going to have complete starter turnover at the TE position, starting near the end of this season and certainly in 2010.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure players with bad knees pushing 32 tend to improve. Maybe some more experience is what he needs.

They have completely different strengths and weaknesses. Stevens is a blocker who needs to improve as a receiver. Cook is a good receiver who needs to improve as a blocker.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm tired of hearing about this 2nd rd pick crap.

Earth to the universe if you want a third rd pick now expect to pay a 2nd next year!

I expected us to take cook in rd 2 and when i saw him still on the board i just assumed that. The fact we have a good Dt prospect and cook both is fantastic. They saw an opportunity that they did not expect cook lasting almost to the 3rd so they went after the guy. What the hell is wrong with that?

We get him now! We give up the pick a year from now! Potentially he could be one of the best pass receiving TEs in the whole damn league.

We are looking for weapons in our offense and he is that. great move!

5. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Roll.....you are so tactful in your responses~~~~

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Fellas and ladies,
    I highly doubt Cooks drafting was a message to Scaife. And if it was a message, what the hell was it trying to tell him. If anything, they probably got Cook to groom for when Alge leaves after this year (as I don't see us retaining him, or he could possibly retire).

I'm like Scaife's agent in the sense that I see us trying to sign him to a long term deal if he doesnt' ask for too much money at the end of the season.

7. STW Chris

STW Chris Starter

I agree with this. The drafting of Cook pretty much forced Scaife to sign the tender!

8. If they wanted to dump Scaife, they would have done it as soon as Cook was drafted.

They want Scaife around for 2009. He's still reliable. He's overpaid because of the franchise tag, but he's reliable (and we had more cap room than we needed). And Cook is just a rookie, so no one knows what to expect.

I don't think anyone will trade for him. Not with that much in cap room tied up. I think we'll keep him 1 more year and then he'll be gone in 2010 (unless there's no cap, in which case he'll be a restricted free agent).

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Scaife signed as soon as he heard Cook was drafted. He would have lost that money had he been cut.

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i dont c y it cant be both...

i dont c why we cant keep the three best of the bunch ....u need TEs..with our style...u really need TEs...scaife is a good blocker...not the best but hes good. i too hope alge gets back to form. but i also dont c it..at least not like his atlanta days.

personally, after next season unless alge steps up it i dont c him resigning here. stevens was a 3rd round TE dont forget...ive not given up on him yet. hes an excellent blocker and has had some nice catches here and there.

dont forget last yr he was behind scaife and alge...and still had some good moments..not enough to say anything now...but still. basically, it not easy to shine as a 3rs string TE and like i said he was a 3rd round pick which is prety up there for a TE.

basically, i do expect three to remain w/ us. and thats with bo def being one. even if cook has a big yr. i'd still keep bo. u dont get rid of the player who lead ur team in receptions for two yrs of the past three (i think..correct me if wrong though)

in the end its about the combination... a blocker (the better of the two between alge and stevens)..burner in cook..and all arounder in scaife. honostly if alge doesnt step it up he might not even make it to next season...i dont c us going next yr w/ 4 TEs on the roster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar