Stone Temple Pilots reunion tour

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Childress79, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Bands like VR make their money from touring anyway and all those guys are still rolling in huge green piles from points on prior packages namely Appetite and the STP records of yore.. Brad the "friendly" soundman from The End has a writing credit on the song Nighttrain from Appetite and he's still snorting massive piles of the white stuff nightly...
    I'm perplexed about The Church.. They haven't had a hit in at least 20 years. I don't see how recent events in the digital world could have had that big of effect on a band that wasn't selling records anyway..

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Sorry but if you have to start your comment with "Remeber the Australian band ...... " then it is likely that the band has not "made it".

IMO the downloading weeds out the hacks. Most musicians make their money at concerts. Radio and now the internet are ways to premote tours and the song/message they are trying to portray.

No one is going to make a decent wage knickling and diming the album sales. Put on a good show and get the people interested is the only way you are going to make a solid living.

Sorry if that chews up some of the one hit wonders ... but what job do you get an everlasting pay day for actually doing something right?

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Dude, Sting still makes $20,000/month on royalties from ONE SONG alone!

(Every Breath You Take)

The Church...didn't they do Under The Milky Way?

4. Blazing Arrow

But downloading has no effect on that royalty money. Joe consumer is not the reason that he gets that money it is the companies that use his songs in ads, radio play, etc. That money will always be there.

Think about this. If a record hits "platinum" status it means that 1,000,000 albums have sold. Of that million sold how much do you actually think the artist gets off of each sale? I would imagine it is maybe $1.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Will it get me backstage on this years tour?:grrhee:

It would be awesome to go to an STP gig with Jeano the axeman.As for getting Cruddy,NFL schedule permitting it will happen at Halloween.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

What about the bands/artists whose contracts don't cover ITunes type sales? Record companies always treat their artists like dirt.

STP now have or soon will have 4 songs available to download for the Guitar Hero & Rockband games. That's currently the biggest selling rock medium & some older bands are now enjoying a new lease of life through it.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Not unlike the NFL it all depends on how the contract is structured. Established bands often get decent points per unit sold. Often newly signed bands will get cash up front with very small points per unit sold. Regardless of the contract, songwriting royalties are paid. As little music as I sell I still get regular checks from the labels and online distribution companies like Itunes.
    In 2008 if The Church isn't making more dough from playing live than they would have from Under the Milky Way then they are done as a moneymaking band anyway...

8. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

The Aerosmith version is due out this year as well. The band has 30 songs or so on it. I'd expect this one to do really well and Aerosmith recognizes that it's a new way to reach a brand new (younger) audience.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

STP rawks!

But now due to the rockness of this thread, I'm compelled to post a pic of my latest axe. Behold, the unholy Ibanez RGT6EXFX!!!!

[​IMG]

10. Blazing Arrow

This is kind of my point though. The band trying to make a name for itself and gets a contract does not rely on sales other then to show they deserve a better contract ... the band that has made it is not looking at album sales as a marker for how much money they are making. So again the downloads would have little effect on either.

Bands like Metallica who b*tch and moan about how they are not getting theres make me sick. You are wiping your arse with $100 but you are worried about losing a couple bucks to the poor college student downloading music at a discounted price? Not buying it.

As with any industry evolution has to take place. Records replaced by 8 tracks, replaced by tapes which people made tape recorders, then CDs .. along comes the CDR, now there are MP3s, only difference is the methods have gotten easier to copy or transfer files. It is absolutely absurd to think that people will not evolve to the new methods of listening and creating files.

Can any of the musicians tell me that the evolution of music to electronic files has not made there life/job easier? Nope ....

It is easy to accept change when it helps you but when it hinders you it is a little harder to swallow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar