surprise declaration............good LB Jon abbate

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by bongo59, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

Wake Forest junior linebacker Jon Abbate has signed with an agent and will enter the NFL draft.

Abbate, 5-foot-11, 245 pounds, led the Demon Deacons with 120 tackles, including six for loss and three sacks.

"I've wanted to reach this dream of playing in the NFL since I was a little kid," Abbate said Saturday. "The hardest part will not playing alongside my best friends."

Abbate is one of only three players in ACC history to lead his team in tackles for three straight seasons.

"I'm going to have to show my speed at the combine," Abbate said. "And I'm going to have to show that size doesn't matter. I'm 5-11, but I play like I'm 6-4."

Abbate dedicated this past season to Luke Abbate, his younger brother who died in a car accident last February. Abbate said it played a part in his decision.

"It was heavy on my heart," Abbate said. "You don't know when your life will end and when your opportunity comes, to you want to capitalize on it. Luke would have wanted this."

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

2. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

Junior linebacker Brandon Siler said Saturday he will enter the NFL draft.

"I love Florida but I've taken it to the top and it's time to move on," Siler said.

Siler, 6-foot-2, 235 pounds, was second on the Gators with 77 tackles, including 10 for loss, three sacks and a fumble recovery

3. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

what the NFL wants is not a 5'11" LB that plays like 6'4", but a 6'4" that plays like a 6'9" LB.

Would be surprised if he is a first day.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You know we have a 5' 11" LB, right?

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

And there's a ton of good, short lb's.

Willis still has to be the frontrunner....if we'd even draft a Mike in the 1st.

6. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

yes, I do. What I said was, "what the NFL wants". The league is great at using physical numbers and overlooking heart. You want to fall, be shorter, slower, they can put weight on you but find it hard to strech and speed up players. You are talking about the exception, I am the rule.

By the way, on the first day, please draft a GREAT player, not a good one.

This board will be filled with a lot of *****ing if we draft a 5'11" LB, all of you know it.

By the way I have met Michael Singletary, I am 6'1" and towered over him. So yes, I know there are short LBs and great ones not just good ones.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

we drafted some guy by the name of tulloch last year who is 5'11". he made quite a few plays while he was on the field.

8. im content with tulloch, hes going to be a beast once he gets more playing time

9. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

I like this abate, he plays with a lot of fire, I think we may get him as a late 3rd early 4th pick, but it depends on the combine.

10. Zach Thomas dropped because he was just 5-11, so it's not as if he can't be any good if he isn't over 6 feet tall...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar