The 10th pick's from 2000-2012

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JCBRAVE, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The difference a guard like Warmack could make in a game versus a guy like Alvin Bailey is probably minimal. Just can't justify using a top-ten pick on a guard.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Too many variables to really judge the worth of the pick like that. Every draft is different and some teams just make stupid decisions.

We know that teams that pick around 10th give or take a few picks each way every year fare no better than teams like the Patriots and Ravens that always pick way back.

The important thing is to identify those players you really want and go get them. If we really like Warmack we should not risk trading back. Warmack is a great pick at 10 both in overall value and also in meeting a need.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

he's not saying the position isn't important, he's saying we can get close to equal value for far cheaper. Economically, it doesn't make sense to draft a guard at #10.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I could never understand that. The average team in the NFL runs the ball 27 times a game. It's not important to block a DT rushing the passer? I'll agree that LT is a more important position but if a team will take a linebacker or CB with that pick why the hell not a guard? That's 20% of your O-line!

This is a position with possibly the lowest bust out rate there is. Teams that have gone for a guard or center earlier in the draft have been richly rewarded. The Steelers drafted Pouncey and in his rookie year he went to the pro bowl. Lupati was drafted that same year right after we took Morgan and has started from day one and is going to the pro bowl.

Konz was a 2nd rd pick and is starting at RG for Atlanta and playing well.Warmack is rated higher than all those guys were!

Was Matthews not a good top ten pick? Was Munch not a good top 10 pick?

On top of all that it is a position with good durability and longevity. Warmack could start for us until he is 35!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Lupati and Pouncey were the 17th and 18th picks in the 2010 draft. Both started from day one and both are pro bowl players.

It's not even debatable whether they would have been worth taking at 10. The only issue is if you can trade back a few picks and still get that player.

Why do people insist on debating the value of a player like warmack who has a higher grade than either of those guys did?

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Will Shields was a guard out of Nebraska for the Chiefs, drafted in rd 3 in 1993. He played 14 years and made 12 pro bowls.

We all saw Kevin Mawae make a pro bowl and play at a high level in his mid 30s.

My God don't tell me a guy like that is not worth a 10th pick. Give me 3 guys like that!

We already have 2 good OTs who still have some prime years left getting a guard of equal or even better ability would upgrade our whole team!

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Then why don't more guards go in the first round? It's not because there is a shortage of great guards in the league, it's because front offices don't value the position. Don't argue with me, argue with the guys pulling the trigger.

This is a really deep draft for guards. I see more value in taking the #2 DE or #2 DT at 10 then getting the #2 or #3 G in the second since DE and DT are more valued and more will be taken in the first round.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So a Dt is always worth a top 10 pick even the first pick but the guys who block the DT are not worth a 10th pick?

The bias against guards is stupid! And acting like any 2nd rd guard is not that different from Warmack is wrong. Mcshay said that Warmack is the best guard prospect since 2001 when Hutchinson was taken 17th.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

This is the type of ignorance that i have to deal with. Warmack as a prospect is a notch above Zietler and Decastro from last year who were off the board before the 39th pick so to say that there is little difference between Warmack and an OG we could get at 39 is like saying that Joeckel is not much better than a 2nd rd OT.

Floyd from Florida is coming out for the draft this year. A 305 lb guy with excellent athletic ability and very well suited for the 4-3. There will be 5-6 Dts or more coming off in rd 1. That means that a Floyd, Jesse Williams or a Sylvester Williams could be had at 39. That to me seems liike the best plan. Drafting Warmack at 10 gives the best player on the board and meets our biggest need. No brainer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar