The Business of NFL Football- Titans Style

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tungtide, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I agree. But the Titans are sending mixed messages here.

They ask for a commitment from McNair as far as participating in practices, building the timing with the young guys, etc. Then they lock him out and prevent him from doing just that. McNair's not even allowed to sit in a film room with the receivers. Could there not be some sort of waiver presented here?

Then they follow that up by being critical to Bulluck for missing a voluntary workout.

I'm sure this kind of thing happens all over the NFL. But with back-to-back pitiful seasons and the other things which points to a team lacking discipline and leadership, you have to wonder what is going on in the heads of Titans management. At what point do the players and fans lose faith that they can produce a winner?

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

when the cows sweep them ...

wait...

yes - I mean No - Just win baby!

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

No, but if you jump off a building for the company, they probanly will. That's what Steve has done for this team over the years.

Now it isn't my place to say they shouldn't lock McNair out, but I will say that it should've been done with more class. A personal visit, a phone call, heck, even writing a letter would've been better than letting the trainer do the dirty work.

I do hope they work this out with McNair. I'd still like to see him play another year or two with us.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think this is the crux and impetus of the current situation. Both players and management are part of the team required to produce a winner. The team/organization is the only perennial facet.

The Titans have been losing games and will soon lose their economic base if something isn't done QUICK to turn it around. McNair isn't playing like he used to and he's eating a huge portion of the resources the management needs to fix the losing situation. Obviously, it has to change. The needs of the organization to get some more wins supercedes any form of etiquette, even for a dedicated champion like McNair. The organization just can't risk losing their ability to sign rookies and/or get free agents. The status quo isn't working.

It's a nasty business, but players don't seem to mind signing when they get their guaranteed money.

5. Hellblitzer

Hellblitzer Guest

The Mcnair decision was all about liability. If Mcnair hurts himself and has back "spasms" preventing him from playing, the Titans have to pay out the butt, cant sign who else they want, and will have to release a possible valuable player to sign our draft picks. Can you say CAP SUICIDE?

This is a negotiations game, its going to depend on how rough both side decide to play. Mcnair brought all this on his self talking all the retirement talk in 2004, hell we didnt know who was going to be the starter this time last year. Now all the sudden he's got 3-4 more years left.
    BULL****!

This is a chess game, and IMHO Reese is winning it right now.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:lol3:

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Nothing cures more ailments than winning. A lot will be forgiven once the Titans start looking like a playoff team again.

But until then, both sides needs to do a better job pandering to the fan base. If I'm not going to see a winner when I go to the Coliseum, I at least want to see a group of guys playing with heart and working to improve individually and as a team. I need to have some faith that management has the best interest of the fan in mind.

Want to lose more of your fan base than 9-23 the last two seasons does? How about booting the most popular player on the team out the door? That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for wanting to put a winner on the field in '06.

8. :hmm: true and it makes me sad:hmm:

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with everything you're saying. I'm sure the FO would love to keep McNair around at a price the organization can afford. But let's face it, the 99-03 core (McNair, George, Wychek, Kearse, Rolle, Mason, etc) didn't get us back. We gambled with the cap- nobody was complaining then- to keep them together. We've been paying the price the past 2 years. Now that we are "re-building" a team to get back, it isn't in the organization's best interest to keep McNair at his present cap price. (I realize you know this.)

Honestly, it will be incredibly hard for me to swallow if Steve isn't a Titan. And it won't feel as good as it could if the Titans start winining again without him around. My proudest moments as a Titans fan were during the '02 run when McNair was giving defenses fits "tucking and running" and throwing darts to Mason and McCareins.

Imagine the roar during the pre-game introduction if McNair re-structures and remains a Titan.

10. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

Want to lose more of your fan base than 9-23 the last two seasons does? How about booting the most popular player on the team out the door? That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for wanting to put a winner on the field in '06.[/QUOTE]

THAT'S the point I was getting at. Right on Jeff!!

Great name by the way (Tungtide aka also a Jeff) :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar