The Truth About Nick Harper (and Rod Hood)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dbc5631, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

The Nick Harper hate machine is in full attack mode these days but allow me to show you some facts that you'll probably instantly disregard.....because no one likes to be wrong.

Let me first say I'm in favor of replacing Harper with a CB that is capable. That player is not on the Titans roster.

1. Nick Harper was graded an overall top 5 CB last season. (http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=0&numgames=1) Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.
    2. Nick Harper has given up 3 TD passes in 621 plays. Rod Hood has given up 2 TD passes in 192 plays. Harper has given up 5 TD passes total in the 2008 and 2009 seasons. By comparison, 2008 Pro Bowl CB Terrance Newman has given up 6 TDs in that time. 2008 Pro Bowl CB Marcus Trufant has given up 7 just this year!! Rod Hood has given up 10 TD PASSES in the past 2 seasons in LIMITED playing time!! If he had started here from day 1 he'd have 6+ against easily, probably more.
    3. Nick Harper ranks 10th of 128 in CBs against the run.(http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...pe=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=0&numgames=1) For a team that prides itself in stopping the run and are at the top of the league yearly in that stat I'd say he is instrumental.
    As for Rod Hood, it's no mistake his 3 INTs come against David Garrard, Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Yes, Harper has gave up a lot of completions. Maybe some of it is by design because he's not the cover corner Finnegan is and I'm sure he plays a different scheme because of it. The haters sole argument for Hood is the 3 INTs and the league is full of bad players that move from team to team that have put together a couple of games where the ball finds them.
    Plain and simple, ROD HOOD is not a better overall player nor is he more valuable than Nick Harper. In the 3 games Hood started against Jax, SF and Buf the Titans gave up 138.6 yards rushing per game. In the 5 games since Harper came back the Titans have gave up 84.2 ypg.

On a side note, Michael Griffin has been the worst safety in the league this year(http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1) but NO ONE is calling for him to be replaced. Griffin's QB Rating against is 137.5 with 5 TDs against!!! Kevin Kaesviharn has been better in his 86 snaps at safety.

All I'm trying to show is there is MORE than enough proof that the least we as fans can do is shut up about Nick Harper and Rod Hood and let the coaching staff decide who should be in.

2. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

I'm gonna go ahead and leave a standard reply to my message by uneducated football fans to save them time.

"You're crazy, Nick Harper is terrible. Rod Hood should be playing and Fisher needs to go because he's just being loyal to veterans. Hood had 3 INT's, he's Young and he's the future at the position".

Now, if anyone wants to have a legit conversation about this topic I'd love to listen.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

I doubt anyone can dispute that he has been capable in the past.

We've all seen it and the numbers that you posted show it.

But that was then...this is now. He's just not the same. It happens and WILL happen to ALL players. Some earlier then others...some much later then others. (Do you think all QBs will last as long as Farve and still retain that amount of skill?)

It's possible we're seeing a corner that had some off-season health issues that transfered into '09 but either way he needs replacement. In all honesty I think he'd make a better rusher then a coverage man (shame the word blitz is practically a foreign word to our team).........no one can say he can't tackle. I keep seeing people miss crap; he always seems to take his guy down except for a couple times.

If his body can't keep up with the WRs anymore its time to either move on or find out how he best fits in.....I constantly see people say he can't keep up...few people have bashed his past NOR his experience.

As for whether Rod is a good replacement?

No one can really argue FOR it in all honesty; its just people hating on the fact that Harp isn't "getting it done" like he used to. (I'm guilty of this too)

The stats argue that hood ain't the answer but we'll see how he does on Xmas IF he's in for Harp.

4. 24

24 Starter

I can see with my own eyes that Harper's been playing poorly. I don't need some website to justify otherwise. Hood may have played worse than Harper in the past, but as far as I'm concerned, you can't play worse than Harper's playing now. As for Griffin, the reason people aren't asking for his replacement is because one, there's no one proven behind him, and two, he has the potential to be much better. Harper is on the back end of his career, and he's not going to improve. I'm all for using numbers to determine who's better, but sometimes you just have to see for yourself.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

AND THERE's No one better behind Harper either!! That's the point!!
    Why is Hood better than Harper? Please explain what you know for a fact.
    Harper has given up 3 TDs ALL SEASON!!!! That's 10 starts and 621 snaps!! Hood has given up 2 TDs in 3 games and 192 snaps.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Based on this website, last year Nick Harper was better then Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel, Charles Woodson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Courtland Finnegan, Terrance McGee, and Ike Taylor. So, until you can give me something better then a ridiculous pile of skewed numbers then I'm going to go based on what I see: QBs pick on Nick Harper. When he got that pick last week it's because the QB said 'well, I'm getting sacked. May as well chuck it up toward Nick Harper because odds are my guy will get it.' Until he can stop giving up 2-3 catches a drive, I don't want him on my team.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Rod Hood should be playing and Fisher needs to go because he's just being loyal to veterans.

8. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Take the bag off so you can see and read post #2. Your stock answer has been addressed.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the truth about nick harper; we only have to wait two more games for him to be gone!

10. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Agreed. Like I said in my OP I'm all for replacing him with someone better. Rod Hood isn't close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar