Time for Troupe to Become Offensive Weapon

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: As a rookie, he struggled to pick up the playbook. The following season, he had a career-high 55 receptions. But last season, when given the opportunity to step into the #1 TE spot left by Erron Kinney, Ben Troupe didn't produce. He ended the season with only 13 receptions and missed the final six games due to a fractured foot. “I don’t put any excuses on it,” Troupe said. “The thing is I just have to go out and make plays. That’s what I’m here to do. I’m not an excuse maker. I just felt I wasn’t getting it done. I’m the type of player that I don’t really care about the praise, but I can definitely take the criticism when I’m not playing up to my abilities.” If he can live up to his potential this season, he could be a key weapon for QB Vince Young and the Titans offense.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That entire draft class needs to step up big this year.

Bell has been the best player from that draft so far.

3. No joke.

4. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

It's been time for him to step up. I honestly believe, (barring injury), that he will turn the corner this year. Although, VY likes to spread it around, he needs a reliable go to guy, and that usually begins with the TE (see Wycheck, and Mac). kinda like he began developing with Bo Scaife.

5. bzdell917

bzdell917 Guest

I think that Troupe is going to have a break out season... when we drafted him it was a great selection in my mind... He defintly needs to step up tho!

6. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

To me, Troupe is the key to our offense. Scaife is very solid, but he's not a gamebreaker. Troupe can be. And if he has a breakout year this year, I think it'll go a long way for taking pressure off of Young.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Last year was also time for Troupe to become an offensive weapon... and the only thing we got was the one 4th down play that was called back because of the stupid 4th down fumble rule.

I hope he can do it, but I don't have great expectations. I'm just glad we have three seemingly solid TEs.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

He needs to step up or else Scaife will. Basically though everyone needs to step up this year and become better players.

9. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

I think Troupe is lacking Scaife's heart to play the game.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Everybody keeps using the term "break out" but I think we need to be realistic in our expectations. VY is probably not going to throw for 4000 yards, probably closer to the 3000 yard mark. If Troupe duplicated his 2005 numbers that would be a darn good season IMO and with maybe a little better YPC give him ~600 yards recieving. Thats a good chunk of that 3000 yards. Scaife is going to account for 300-400 yards maybe himself so IMO if the TEs can account for 1000 of the receiving yards between them that would be pretty solid. I'm doubtful in the Titan's offense Gates would come close to his 900+ yards so 600 yards for either TE IMO is a darn good year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar