Titans Lose to Browns, 23-17

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

one letter, one word, one sentence, one paragraph, one page, one chapter at at time.

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Perhaps he knew Young couldn't play QB in this league.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We need to start a thread titled "the first sentence of the Jeff Fisher biography".

"I was the only kid in the 5th grade with a moustache and I knew that meant I was special."

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

"He came out of the game, I knew he had an ankle"

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Eddy...

It was a joke!

Texas just beat his beloved USC in the title game and we just took the guy who nearly singlehandedly beat them. It's a joke. Plain and simple.

BTW, Fisher didn't want to draft McNair...he wanted Kevin Carter.

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Eddy...

Funny, after Vince single handedly brought us back to win a game, I don't recall you claiming he couldn't play.

Once he quit on the team last year, you seem to have a different hindsight that you knew it all along.

And you say you'll give VY credit when he deserves it? Obviously you won't or you wouldn't bash an entire performance on one or two bad plays. If people went by that logic with young QB's...no young QB would ever start. Look at Mark Sanchez, he's made some good plays but also some dreadful ones and coming off his worst performance he was given the starting job.

All I've done is point out what he's done right and what he's done wrong whereas you point at one play and say he's incapable of playing QB. I point out Collins making a similar bad play and you ignore it.

IF you were unbiased, you'd call every play as it is and give the same critical eye to every player and not bash people because they disappointed you or let you down last year. But that's my opinion. You might notice I point out what Collins does well and what he doesn't. A defender makes a great INT...did I blame Collins? No. It was a great defensive play. But if a WR runs the wrong route and BECAUSE of that the ball is INT'd, you blame the QB...IF it's VY at QB.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sk...

He had one guy to beat until he hesitated and then he had no chance. For a pre-season game, I'd rather see him go for the TD.

SK...the REASON the ball was picked is because it was slightly underthrown, slightly inaccurate, and had nothing on it because of his footwork and his momentmum going AWAY from the TE. You suggesting he throw it OVER the TE's head doesn't work since he can't even throw it to where it's supposed to go...so you think he should have thrown it much farther? When the QB is moving backwards and away from his receiver and is throwing across the field, you put the ball in the ground and underthrow it to the point that no one can catch it. The defender picked the ball in between Young and the TE because the pass was going too slow, not thrown to where it needed to be so the defender could break on it and did. What I meant by under throwing it was underthrow it so no one could catch it. He has to throw it within 15 yds of the TE. He can easily do that without having it picked.

And in case you think he should still have thrown it over the receiver's head, I suggest you hit a football field with a friend and try it out with one foot on the ground...moving away from the receiver and throwing it across the field...see which is easier.

I said it was a bad decision, not a terrible one.

Yes, I've seen the video many times. The the defender was covering Mulligan man for man and was trailing Mulligan. IF VY wasn't under pressure and can lead Mulligan and throw it high to the outside, you can easily complete the pass...but since VY had nothing on it and it wasn't thrown to the right spot, it was easily picked. It was a bad decision as I've said.

Gut

8. He always had 3 guys to beat once he tucked it.

It was not underthrown. It was thrown right to him (had the defender not been there). And to underthrow it enough to avoid the defender, he would have been called for grounding.

As for not being able to overthrow Mulligan, if his arm is strong enough to throw it 60 yards downfield then he can certainly chuck it 30 even without being able to step into it.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Eddy...

It's actually a 10 point swing...

First off, didn't Collins come here and say he knew the Offense then stink for a month forcing them to replace him with...VY in his first season? Secondly, I don't mind you not caring what Collins has done on any other team except that you imply that Young quitting on our team last year MEANS he can never succeed. Hasn't Collins succeeded? I guess the proof is our starting QB.

Pointing out his only negative stats shows your motives. First, since VY is not our starter, we are looking at his potential. Saying he's terrible because he made two mistakes is a bad way to evaluate people. I like to evaluate people on the totality of what they do. Did he throw the ball well...yes. Did he make a lot of good decisions...yes. Did he make 2 bad decisions that cost us 10 points...yes. Can we continue to improve his decision-making...yes. Can he play in this league...probably...but that's what we're here to find out.

And I didn't realize you were basing anything important on Browns commentary...lol!

Young has produced just as many TD's for this team as Collins has. Collins was fortunate enough to have had a much better team around him. Young has had a lot more turnovers...which is why Collins is starting and VY is a young QB. But just because VY had more turnovers than TD's his last year of starting doesn't mean it'll always be that way. McNair had more turnovers than TD's his 4th season but got significantly better over the next 3 years. So you can't really say he has no chance.

I assigned blame to Young when he threw a bad INT and fumbled the ball (even though that fumble didn't matter since it was the end of the half and was no different than VY being tackled).

The difference is, I give credit where credit is due and you don't. As stated, Collins throws a good pass INT'd by a great play by a DL...I don't blame Collins and neither do you. But if VY throws that ball...you blame Young. And you can be a lot more credile by arguing the points instead of making them up.

And I want VY to be as good as Dan Marino...and I want a Porsche...and a billion dollars...and...

Drafting players is about drafting potential. Even Marino was considered the next GREAT Hall of Fame QB coming out. You take what you think is the best potential and hope it works out. A lot of people questioned the McNair pick for YEARS.

Let's take this paragraph one point at a time...

McNair didn't start full time til his 3rd year so not sure what you mean great 2nd yr. His 2nd year starting he completed only 58.7%, had a QB rating of 80.1 and had 19 TD's and 12 turnovers. Was that what you meant by great year? I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure that's not in the top 10 of QB's that year...maybe not even top half of the league. His next year (3rd starting) he completed only 56.5% of his passes with a 78.6 rating (probably bottom third of the league of starters) but improved his TD's to 20 with only 9 turnovers. TD/turnover ratio was nice, but he hardly qualified as a superstar QB. His 4th yr starting he had a major setback...he completed a much better 62.6% of his passes, but had 15 TD's vs 19 turnovers (that sounds like VY his 2nd yr). At this point, were you screaming to the World that McNair was a superstar QB and worthy of the #3 pick?

If I'm comparing Young and McNair, why would I ignore there stats and instead talk about the team?

I didn't realize you were a football coach. Can you tell me how VY's footwork is 'bad'? His throwing motion is not ideal but hardly an issue. You say he can't read defenses, and yet he's successfully read the defense all through pre-season. His picks that he's responsible for have been bad decisions...not mis-reading the defense. If he couldn't read defenses as you and Hoge say, he'd be throwing 5+ INT's a game. The stats prove your guess incorrect. As for throwing bad picks, he certaintly has done so as with every young QB, but not nearly as many as you think considering you blame him for INT's that aren't even his fault.

While McNair had his own accuracy issues he improved on, many people didn't think McNair could read defenses either...but his early seasons were more a product of the offense and his coaching which led him to throwing the ball frequently to Wycheck and checking the ball down. But you're right, they weren't at the same places at this point in their careers. McNair got to learn on the bench while VY had to learn under fire and on a much worse team. McNair had the benefit of a Hall of Fame and perennial Pro Bowl RB as well as a Pro Bowl TE...and Pro Bowlers on his OL. VY didn't get that talent around him.

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I don't think so...

No, he hesitates so the guy in front of him gets him outside the endzone and then guy hits him from his side. The ONLY guy that mattered was the guy in front. If he didn't hesitate and dove for the goalline with the ball in two hands stretched for the GL, it's a TD. He hesitates and has the ball tucked...now the other defenders finish him off...but they don't matter if he doesn't hesitate.

And THAT is WHY it was underthrown. The ball was not thrown to where it's SUPPOSED to go. You throw ANY outside sideline pass and throw it AT the receiver and the ball will be picked off. That's not where you throw the ball to complete it. As I said, go try it on the field. Have a friend run a 5 yd out and have another friend run right behind him when he breaks out...you'll see what I mean about where you half to throw the ball to complete the pass and that if you throw it at the receiver with a defender trailing him, it'll get picked every time. Even in HS that's the difference between a completion and a pick 6.

So you're saying it's impossible to underthrow a receiver so that it can't be caught without it being intentional grounding? I disagree and you see it in EVERY NFL game. People are underthrown all the time without getting called for intentional grounding.

And seriously, hit your local football field and see how far you can throw the football with perfect footwork. Next, take a slow jog backwards and throw it off one foot with your momentum going backwards and see how far you can throw the ball. Next, try doing the play VY did and you'll see you throw it even shorter since you're throwing it somewhat across your body. You'll find that if you scale the yardage down for your arm strength, VY could throw it over Mulligan's head...but it'd be a wounded duck and most likely picked. If you underthrow it to where no one can get it...no one can pick it. This is why we teach QB's to underthrow receivers given this kind of situation...not over throw them.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar