Titans Offseason Positional Analysis: Cornerback

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: For the Titans entering the 2007 season, nothing was as uncertain as the cornerback position.

With the writing already on the wall concerning the availability of Pacman Jones for the upcoming season, the Titans brought in Nick Harper via free agency in a three-year deal. This was followed by selecting Michael Griffin in the NFL Draft and moving him from his natural position of free safety to corner. Cortland Finnegan had done an outstanding job as the nickel in '06 and deserved a shot to move to the outside. Reynaldo Hill was looking to rebound from a tough season as a starter in '06. Former first-round pick Andre Woolfolk was a "dead man walking". And, in June, the Titans added more depth by bringing in the experienced Kelly Herndon when he was released from the Seahawks. Throw in the mix special teams standout Eric King and you had as big a battle at cornerback as I can remember in recent history when the Titans started training camp.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

We look descent on the corners, if the thug jones is not able to make a comeback we should be just fine...Trade his arse somewhere else and try to get a corner on the draft 2 or 3rd round if neede it..Jerry jones is crazy enough to trade Barber for Jones head on!!

3. bgtitanfan

bgtitanfan Guest

who are our CBs? NOOOO NAMES!!!!! i can go on and on about why our CB suck.

4. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

please do, i'd like to hear what you have to say

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and i could go on and on about why you're wrong.

yeah, nick harper sucks, but finnegan starts on a lot of teams in the league.

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Maybe your referring to Cortland being a relative nobody outside of Tennessee and the rest besides Harper then ok I can agree with that.

But you would only say Finnegan is a no name unless you never saw the guy play. He is a tenacious, scrappy, and non stop defender at the CB position. He is one of the few CB who helps in run support and he is physical, fast, explosive, and makes plays. He will get noticed this season.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Lock up Cortland at any time. He'll be a FA after next season, right? He's very solid.

Harper is so-so. Not so good against the pass, but plays the run very well. He's old though.

I thought King played well, although most of his reps were ST's. I think Hill is ok for depth as well, but I'd like some competition brought in for better depth and maybe a future starter. It looks like the mid rounds will have some good CB talent this year.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Agreed, Bobo. I think we begin to consider CB in rounds 3-5, though given our recent success of 7th rounders, I'm okay waiting until then, too.

I'm looking forward to Eric King's development. Hopefully, he keeps progressing.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Harper played very well against he run and made some very nice open field tackles that most CBs would have missed last season.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and he gave up more tds/big plays than anyone in our secondary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar