Titans release Jason McCourty

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

sure, that our secondary will be garbage next year and we will be having these same conversations mid-year. What's the bet?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'll be very surprised if we don't really upgrade CB. JRob is smart and has seen some of the suggested free agents he brought in last year (because they knew the system) didn't work out like expected.

I think the expectation was to keep McCourty for depth and expect he'd want to stay. JRob, if given the choice, would release McCourty early in free agency if he knew he wasn't gonna keep him. McCourty is and has always been a class act here and I give him respect for that and all the years of service....and not just ON the football field!

So it is clear they expected to keep him but reduce his salary. Clearly that didn't work out so they gave him his release. At the end of the day, JRob has to do what's best for the team. While we could all argue that keeping McCourty for depth is a good thing, keeping him at $7mil per year goes back to the old regime of over paying players who aren't producing. JRob, like in NE, wants players to understand you get paid for production. Even in NE, they don't always pay for production...just ask Wes Welker!

At any rate, we do have some trade options and this does give us more cap to go after a Malcom Butler if we don't get Lattimore or don't like the top cb's as much.

Any way, thanks for all the great attitude, play, and being a heck of a player for 8yrs for us after being drafted in the 6th round! Good luck!!!

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  3. 615nick

615nick Starter

I'll def get in on this bet too. Our secondary will be better this year. Mccourty wasn't going to help at all. We need all new cbs, because our top 3 were all trash.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Ok, I'm still waiting on someone to pony up. JCB and a lot of guys talking how bad McCourty/everyone was, but can't back it up? Why?

Name some terms

5. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

He's past his prime and not worth what his cap hit would have been. It would've been nice to have him for depth this upcoming season, but if you weren't expecting to have two new starting CBs in our secondary this year then you've mis-calculated his remaining athleticism and durability.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I have an avatar

You don't

I'll name terms when I feels like it!!

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. 615nick

615nick Starter

I'll wager however much moolah you want to. Any amount that i can cover. I have 2700.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'll let you guys do the betting stuff, but the facts are the facts. We were terrible in the secondary and have the yards given up, td's given up, a fired starting cb, and point thru the air given up to prove it!

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

And I'm willing to bet that midway in 2017, we are going to be having the same conversations because we are starting Logan Ryan, Brice McCain, LeShaun Simms and Kalan Reed. And factually they are doing just as good as the 2016 bunch.

that's my bet. we already know the secondary was trash in 2016, i'm betting on same trash 2017.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If we ever find ourselves starting Mccain on the outside then yea we're likely not going to like how things have turned out, but there is still the draft, and possible trades.

If we start training camp with the cast you just listed then yea maybe was bad to dump McCourty, but Im betting there are still guys we add.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar