Titans safeties continue to struggle in coverage

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

SAN DIEGO Are the Titans getting what they wanted with the new tandem of free safety Robert Johnson and strong safety Michael Griffin? It’s a valid question after two weeks.

Tom Brady went 23-of-31 for 236 yards, two touchdowns and a 117.1 passer rating against the Titans last week, and Phillip Rivers went 24-of-31 for 284 yards, three touchdowns and a 119.8 rating on Sunday. The Titans haven’t given up a pass play of more than 31 yards, but short and intermediate throws are killing them.

“There was times I was supposed to come up and help,” said Johnson, who’s playing a centerfielder’s role in the secondary. “If there’s a coverage where somehow guys get open, I’m supposed to come up and make tackles. Those are things I’m supposed to be doing.”

Griffin, who had a team-leading 18 tackles against the Chargers, said it’s not important whether he’s playing free or string safety: “I don’t think it matters. You have to be able to play with whoever’s out there. There’s a reason all these guys are on the team. Whatever position they want you to play, you gotta play.”

Source: Titans Insider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar