Titans talent level...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't understand where people have gotten this opinion from that Henry is above average. He has done well for much of this year, but I can easily find 15 NFL RBs who are better than Travis Henry. Hell, Football Outsiders has him statistically ranked at around #30 at RB.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

And he missed the first few games. I think he has done very well for himself.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

As I make it he's:
    12th in total yards
    10th in yards per carry
    14th in TD's
    8th for +20 runs

For runningbacks with 10 or more carries per game. The only stat I couldn't immediately find was number of first downs gained, but he seems to be a bit behind the league leaders, though only 2 shy of Shaun Alexander.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I don't know about 15 guys that are no doubt better than Henry. Hell half those guys ranked above him on FO are RBBC guys. It even has Ron Dayne. Just another instance of FO's overannalization not adding up to me.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I just want to interject on this subject: Please stop saying LenDale White has been a disappointment this season. It's only been ardent fans who wanted to see him starting this year. The coaches would have only started him had Brown or Henry not been able to step up to the plate and carry the load. White needs an offseason of rigorous conditioning and committment to professionalism before he can handed the starting mantle. Save the "disappointment" label until after that time has passed. He's done all that the coaches have expected of him this year: spell a starter, and keep moving the chains. Expect no more. And heads up: It might be this way next season, too.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You won't find many folks saying Lendale has been a disappointment. Perhaps it's a disappointment he hasn't gotten more touches, but with Henry's production, it's hard to argue against that...

7. I'm certainly not suggesting that he really is only the 30th best RB in the NFL, that's just where he is statistically using their rankings.

But I don't think he is any better than an average starting NFL RB. If you can find 10 RBs who are clearly better than him and a bunch who are on the same level, then he can't be better than average.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Starkiller has a point if you consider that there are 20 NFL backs with 1000 yards so far this year and another 3 in the high 900s. Still, Henry has celarly been nothing short of an animal running the ball this year. Guys have been bouncing off him and he has run 7 runs over 20 yards. Right now I would argue there are only about three dominating backs in the NFL significantly better than Henry; Tomlinson, Johnson and Alexander (Frank Gore may be breaking into that elite area). Many of those guys in that bunch "who are on the same level" make alot more money. Rudi Johnson, who I don't feel is much if any better than Henry only has a 3.8 average this year. Same deal with Steven Jackson. I guess I would argue that there are 10 backs clearly better than Henry although I would argree there might be 10-20 in the same range.

9. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Lendale was an absolute steal in the middle of the 2nd round; he has mad talent. However, his work has been disappointing so far. That is what I meant. No, he has not been bad, but he hasnt been as good as he has the talent to be.

As to Henry, I rate him above some guys with better stats who run behind great OLs. Yards per carry can be deceiving. Henry has been making a lot of what he has been given, blocking-wise. That is what my eyes tell me. Our OL is not bad, but they dont open wide holes either. They are average. He also holds on to the ball pretty well. Above average back. Below average as a receiver, though. A 3rd down & long back is a need in the offseason.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Ok, I can see maybe 10 guys better, one that won't be around next year (Barber). Another year or 2 behind this line should prove more (this may be the best line he's played behind, but it's not one of the best in the league imo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar