Titans Wisely Keeping Cool in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you dont keep them around, but you dont lock them out of the facility either.

although eddie has said going to dallas for the same amount of money was a terrible mistake on his part.

2. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Alex, you're correct. The way Godfrey was treated really sent a shockwave through the locker room. To this day, guys still talk about it. An NFL job is like any other job, in terms of the atmosphere. If you see co-workers constantly getting done wrong, you're going to come to the realization that you could be next.

Titans players see that regardless of a player's status, whether star or practice squad, you could get dealt with at any time and in an ugly way. Players also see the practice of waiting until June or the very last minute to release a player as extra cold.

3. I think Mike is right in saying the FA class this year is pretty average, but you're always looking for ways to improve the team...

But if other teams are overpaying average players, why bother?...

4. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

That would hold water if Brett Favre wasn't allowed to chose his retirement day. Also, no one is saying keep players once their prime has past, but you treat them with the respect that they earned while playing for your organization. If you don't treat those players with respect, then you have players who begin to lose respect for the organization that they play for.

5. This is a 2-way street. The players have their own issues. They hold out for more money when they already have a contract all the time.

Additionally, what about the year Rolle and Mason blackmailed the team by refusing to renegotiate until the Titans renegotiated the contract of Eddie George? Those 3 guys were the reason the Titans couldn't keep Jevon Kearse.

As for Godfrey, he was very well paid and had been injured for the previous 2 years. And before the cut him, they even renegotiated his contract and gave him extra guaranteed money that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

The players are making a ton of money that they can't make elsewhere. They have no room to complain about getting cut by teams when they stop being worth their multi-million dollar contracts...

6. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

OK, I'm gonna try to understand it one more time. Who could we have realisticly gotten? We offered Stallworth more and Fowler the same, it's not MR's fault they walked. I just wanna know who we could have realisticly gotten.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

there is no chance in hell Turner is coming here. A back up isn't worth a 1st and a 3rd.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah by the last game of the season needing a win to get into the playoffs the D was really something huh?

9. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Ok lets back up a little bit, Henry was quoted on how bad he "wanted to remain a Titan & stay in Nashville." So how come he didn't take the $ 8 M offered as a pro-rated SB? :suspect:

Don't fool yourselves folks, its all about the :greedy:

10. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

If the Titans were too cheap to give him is roster bonus that he clearly earned last year, then Henry just wanted his fair market value.

This is not Henry's fault at all. I am sure he would have been more than happy to get that 8m dollar check a few weeks ago.

Now considering the Titans said they wouldn't do that, he said well, while you guys are being cheap, I think I can use that leverage to get a more fair market value contract.

Once again, stupid move by MR. He did not think that Henry would command that 12m. Sounds like what MR did with Hutchinson last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar